Rear Shocks

Have questions about how to use these forums or the AVA Classified Ads section? Ask here, or obtain helpful hints in using the features (you must be registered to post on any of the forums, or the Classified Ads). For all other questions, please use one of the forums below.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Sloaner
Current bike(s): 1989 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1992 Kawasaki Concours
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Rear Shocks

Post by Sloaner »

I have owned my 1989 Voyager XII for 14 years now and I love it. The main issue over the last several years is that the rear shocks are fading and loosing air pressure. I ride this bike to work most days and it is 83 km, 50 mi, one way to work, and by the time I get to work they are pretty flat. Before I throw away the flexibility of the air ride suspension, for a set of sealed progressive shocks, I was wondering if anybody has installed an air compressor to help maintain the shock pressure?
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1986 Kawasaki ZN1300 Voyager
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 37 times

Re: Rear Shocks

Post by Van Voyager »

Is it possible it's just the valves that are leaking?
triton28
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 1987 ZG-1200 B1
1987 ZG-1200 B1
1990 ZG-1200 B4
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 234 times

Re: Rear Shocks

Post by triton28 »

There are 5 of 6mm o-rings from the air fill Schraeder valve to the LH rear shock. After 14 years one or more may be leaking, and/or an air line has gotten brittle, especially the line from the Schraeder valve to the oil seperator. It makes a real hard turn off of the top of the seperator and I have seen a lot of cracked lines at that spot.
Also the fluid may have lost it's viscosity and is in need of changing.
Dave

Return to “Forum/Classified Ads Use Questions”