Accesory Power Relay location

Got a tech tip for Voyager 1300's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1986 Kawasaki ZN1300 Voyager
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 37 times

Accesory Power Relay location

Post by Van Voyager »

I've wired up a USB socket to the rear accessory power leads but not getting any voltage love at the leads (with ignition switch 'Off', 'Acc' or 'On'). I believe the fuse is in the 'audio' fuse box and it checks out OK and has 12v. My suspicion is that the relay is goofy but I'm not sure where it is. I'm in the process of tracing the relay down using the input wire colours but was hoping somebody knows where it's located.
VoyKimmer
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2002 Voyager XII
1996 Voyager XII
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 98 times

Re: Accesory Power Relay location

Post by VoyKimmer »

Relay Is behind the headlight.
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer

Post by Van Voyager »

VoyKimmer wrote:Relay Is behind the headlight.
On a 1300? Don't think there are any relays behind the headlight??
VoyKimmer
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2002 Voyager XII
1996 Voyager XII
Been liked: 98 times

Post by VoyKimmer »

Oops sorry. Don't know on 1300.
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer

Post by Van Voyager »

After some searching, I found the relay. On my bike, it's the middle of the '3 pack' under the left side side-cover.

After some troubleshooting - the relay seem to be fine - I traced the problem to the power connection (white/blue wire) in the green 9-pin connector under the right side of the seat. The female pin was an 'open box' rather than the normal 'semi box' with the outside of the box curled under to make contact with the male pin. The female pin was not making contact with the mail pin. It appears it was this way from the factory as there was no indication the pin had ever been out of the connector before or any other obvious signs of damage. I assume the problem was never discovered as no-one tried to make use of the rear accessory connections. I manually bent the female pin into the shape it's supposed to be in and got the connection working again. At some point, I'll put a new female pin in there (as luck would have it - I've loaned out my crimper :-(. Happy to report my new 12v socket and USB charger connection are now working properly.
bigsixkawa
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 1984 Voyager, 1981 Seca 750, 1983 Honda CBX550
Been liked: 0

Post by bigsixkawa »

On my 84 the AUX relay is ganged with two others under the left side cover. The horn is one of them and the AUX is the other. I forget what the third was...

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager 1300 Six”