Rusting away!

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700 V-Twin.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

stevejinde
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): Kawasaki KZ750
Kawasaki ZL1000
Kawasaki KZ750 LTD
Kawasaki VN800A
Kawasaki Voyager ZG1200 B7
Kawasaki ZG1200 B7 Naked bike...
Kawasaki GTR1000 Concours
Kawasaki VN1700 Voyager
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Rusting away!

Post by stevejinde »

I'm slowly getting pissed off with my new Voyager. Although it's a 2016 model, I bought it new last year. and it's starting to rust all over the place.
First I noticed the tops of the front fork covers, now as I installed a phone holder with charger I saw that the ring holding the headlamp is also rusting.
So I decided to look further. The chrome rails around the panniers (saddlebags) several chromed welding points on the crash-bars and exhaust and the worst point is the exhausts balance pipe under the motor!
Good grief! On my 26 year old Voyager 1200, the chrome on the balance pipe still looks good with only a little rust on it. Surly one can expect a 2 year old bike that's only been on the street for 1 year (and is parked in a dry garage) to hold out longer than that! thank god that I still have a years warranty..!
Are any of you having similar problems?
alta drifter
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2009 Kawasaki Voyager

Re: Rusting away!

Post by alta drifter »

cant say I have
my 2009 has no rust on it
sorry for your troubles hope Kawi looks after it for you
cranky
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2003 Voyager
Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 78 times

Post by cranky »

stevejinde wrote:I'm slowly getting pissed off with my new Voyager. Although it's a 2016 model, I bought it new last year. and it's starting to rust all over the place.
First I noticed the tops of the front fork covers, now as I installed a phone holder with charger I saw that the ring holding the headlamp is also rusting.
So I decided to look further. The chrome rails around the panniers (saddlebags) several chromed welding points on the crash-bars and exhaust and the worst point is the exhausts balance pipe under the motor!
Good grief! On my 26 year old Voyager 1200, the chrome on the balance pipe still looks good with only a little rust on it. Surly one can expect a 2 year old bike that's only been on the street for 1 year (and is parked in a dry garage) to hold out longer than that! thank god that I still have a years warranty..!
Are any of you having similar problems?
0000 steel wool will do great work on chrome, give it a chance, then get some wax on it... Best to Ya!!!!!!

4 0's NO less!!! Must be 0000
'03 Voyager - http://tinyurl.com/mqtgpwp VROC pics of Gina
Cranky - Bill Snodgrass AVA # 6544. VROC # 16804
Cranked >128K miles, Mtn bike-no motor!!!
San Jose, KalEfornYa
HMB Don
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 2012 Voyager 1700
Been liked: 81 times

Post by HMB Don »

Call Kawasaki, get them to replace this parts under warranty. Don't waste any more time call ASAP.

My 2012 has some but it has lots of miles on it.
Don Medina
NorCal Voyagers Club

2012 Voyager 1700
rock42
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2015 Kawasaki voyager
1995 Harley dyna wide glide
1975 Goldwing
1982 goldwing interstate

Post by rock42 »

my 2015 has no rust at all of course i only have 15k on the clock but still should be under warrenty

Return to “General - Voyager 1700 V-Twin”