Touring with the 1700 Voyager

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700 V-Twin.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Steverides5
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2017 Voyager 1700
1993 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic
1967 R69S BMW
1982 Honda CB900C
1995 KTM 400 LC4
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 6 times

Touring with the 1700 Voyager

Post by Steverides5 »

Bought my 2017 Voyager last July with the intent to go on longer tours with it. Since purchasing it in July 2017 I’ve put 10K on the odometer, a new set of Metzler 888 tires, a KuryAken luggage rack for the top box , crampbuster for the throttle , TomTom GPS, Grasshopper backrest, and a EZPASS transponder. Also used a tank bag and a bag for on top of luggage rack.

My wife and I just returned from a 8 day 1800 mile trip starting in NE Pennsylvania to Niagara Falls, on to Montebello Quebec to meet the Rolling Through America crew ( 425 mile day) then on to Montreal for a day , then on to Thousand Islands NY for our last big day, then to home.

This was my first long trip above a previous 4 day ride many years ago.

I discovered that the Voyager makes a great touring platform that is both comfortable and very capable. Seat, wind protection, cruise control and power delivery and handling all performed very well.

While in Montebello we were riding with many people that have attended Americade and were experienced tourers. Few knew what my bike was and as expected I had the only Voyager out of approx 50 bikes. I felt that the Voyager showed it’s worth while riding with this group and I most certainly used any available opportunity to promote the Voyager for what it is. A great bike for a great price. I really wish Kawasaki advertised this bike as I believe sales would really increase. I can’t wait till the next week long tour (hopefully Summerville).

The luggage along with the tank bag and bag on the top box gave us plenty of cargo space for all nesseties. See attached photo.

I am writing this to encourage other owners to take the long rides on their bikes and also promote the Voyager to others.
Attachments
Enroute to Quebec
Enroute to Quebec
Having fun whenever possible is never overrated!
HMB Don
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 2012 Voyager 1700
Been liked: 81 times

Re: Touring with the 1700 Voyager

Post by HMB Don »

Happy to read your post. I agree with everything you state, and the more miles you put on the 1700 the more it likes to run. Happy riding and hope to see you at Summerville.

About Americade, look at the magazine for 20018, two AVA members won awards Leroy for must Mature rider and Me, Don Medina 1st place in the cruiser class on my Voyager 1700. So no they don't see many Voyager 1700's.
Yep a Voyager 1700 at Americade
Yep a Voyager 1700 at Americade
Don Medina
NorCal Voyagers Club

2012 Voyager 1700
Steverides5
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2017 Voyager 1700
1993 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic
1967 R69S BMW
1982 Honda CB900C
1995 KTM 400 LC4
Been liked: 6 times

Re: Touring with the 1700 Voyager

Post by Steverides5 »

Love that picture. Americade has been on the bucket list for many years so maybe 2020 as I'm definitely putting Summerville on next year's list.

I realise that even the older generations of the Voyager suffered from a second line reputation compared to the Wing and Electra Glides. The Suzuki Cavalcade also. My bike really delivered everything I wanted and enabled me to save enough money to actually have fun and not just a really big payment. I think these bikes are highly underrated in the market place. Just wish I saw more of them on the roads. The Vaquero seems more popular but even they are somewhat seldom seen. Would love to know how many bikes Kawasaki has actually sold of these.

Cheers Don.
Having fun whenever possible is never overrated!

Return to “General - Voyager 1700 V-Twin”