REAR SUSPENSION SETTINGS

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700 V-Twin.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

mah902
Current bike(s): 2013 1700 voyager
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

REAR SUSPENSION SETTINGS

Post by mah902 »

I have a 2013 1700 and trying to make my wife comfortable. Here in Indiana in the summer we see lots of "buckling" of the pavement that creates very uncomfortable ridges across the roadway I have bought the Kaw gel seats but my wife says that when hitting the rough bumps her lower back is beat up by the lower edge of the factory backrest. I weigh 215 and she weighs 140 (and has arthritis) I am considering the factory "pillow top" backrest for her

Also, for our weight what damping and air settings would you recommend for the rear shocks
I like the bike but you know the old saying about mama being happy ANY INPUT WOULD BE APPRECIATED THANKS
HMB Don
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 2012 Voyager 1700
Been liked: 81 times

Re: REAR SUSPENSION SETTINGS

Post by HMB Don »

This is a hard question to answer. How many miles on the Voyager, what tires are mounted, what psi do you run in the tires, how tight is the drive belt, how much psi do you run in the rear shocks, what setting do you have the rear shocks? Do you have the saddle bags loaded, do you have the trunk loaded? Last have you taken the swing arm apart and lubed the bushings (yep no bearings like on the V1200)? All these things have to be adjusted to make a Voyager 1200 or 1700 ride smooth.

What I've even done is changed the rear shock oil. And last try having the passenger sit up straight with out using the back rest. My wife Trisha rides this with out leaning on the back rest and she states that it's much more comfortable.

I also have a Corbin seat, is it firm, you bet.
Don Medina
NorCal Voyagers Club

2012 Voyager 1700
Bill1481
Current bike(s): 2006 Nomad 1600
2014 Voyager 1700

Post by Bill1481 »

Well I’d like to have seen some numbers or suggestions on here. I’m only 20 minutes south of you in Washington!!! Small world
HMB Don
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 2012 Voyager 1700
Been liked: 81 times

Post by HMB Don »

Some numbers for the rear suspension; Rear shocks set on #4 setting for rebound. The psi in the rear shocks is set at 50 psi while the rear wheel is in the air. I've changed the shock oil about 100,000 miles ago and used 5# fork oil from Amsoil. I use Dunlop American Elite tires the rear is a 180, I run 42 psi. I also set the drive belt just a tad loose from stock, when new the belt was so tight it made noise. Last thing, I try keeping my trunk empty, while my bags to carry most of the weight.

I hope this helps.
Don Medina
NorCal Voyagers Club

2012 Voyager 1700
CWT36
Current bike(s): 2012 Vulcan Voyager

Post by CWT36 »

The adjusters are located in a way that I can barely see the left side and cannot see the right side (although I can slide my finger up behind what's hiding it and feel the adjuster). I can turn the dials but can't see to tell what setting they're on. I have not seen anywhere that anybody else has brought up this problem. Would someone please post a picture of their shocks showing the adjuster so that I can compare it to what I have? Maybe my shocks are not stock?

Return to “General - Voyager 1700 V-Twin”