Kickstand issue on my new to me Voyager 1700

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700 V-Twin.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

FORGIVEN143
Current bike(s): 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Kickstand issue on my new to me Voyager 1700

Post by FORGIVEN143 »

Three days ago I bought my first Voyager. it's a 2014 with 12,000 miles. The bike is in pretty good shape but I have a concerning question about the kickstand. When I put the kickstand down, and start to put the weight of the bike on the stand, the stand will slide out several inches before it stops and hold the bike. it's almost as if the ears on the stand that go on over the frame bracket are bent out or the hole going through the frame bracket is worn out causing a lot of slop in the stand. With the stand in the down position and the bile up right, I can grab the stand and wiggle it up and down several inches. Also, on the frame bracket, the paint is worn off and you can see a lot of marring in the bare metal where the stand has worn it down to metal on metal.

My 900 Classic LT does not do this, it's nice and tight. Does anyone know if the length of the stands on the 900 and Voyager are the same length? Can I just switch the two out and have a quick fix for the sloppy stand on the Voyager.
HMB Don
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 2012 Voyager 1700
Been liked: 81 times

Re: Kickstand issue on my new to me Voyager 1700

Post by HMB Don »

Just read this, and went out and checked my kick stand. Mine does exactly what you describe. I lifted the 1700 off the floor with the jack and checked to see why, and found no reason other then to act like a HD side stand.
Don Medina
NorCal Voyagers Club

2012 Voyager 1700
FORGIVEN143
Current bike(s): 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS

Post by FORGIVEN143 »

So, would it be beneficial to switch out the stand with my 900 Classic L?
juzubumi
Current bike(s): 2012 Voyager ABS

Post by juzubumi »

The problem I had with the kickstand is that it is short so it felt like the bike was going to lay down every time you used it, I took advice from some folks here and purchased a kickstand from a 96 1500VN ($15.- on Eb.Y), it bolts right on and makes the bike stand up quite a bit more, takes away the feeling that it\'s going to drop on you. Maybe this will work for your issue, It works perfectly for me.

Return to “General - Voyager 1700 V-Twin”