ZN1300-A fairing removal

Got a tech tip for Voyager 1300's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

TheFalcro
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 1986 KawasakiVoyager ZN1300-A DFI inline six cylinder
(NOT A VOYAGER XII ZG1200-A1 carbureted inline four cylinder)
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

ZN1300-A fairing removal

Post by TheFalcro »

Hello everyone, I searched the tech tips forums for the 1300 six and found nothing on removing the fairing. Here is where I am at on this. I have the windshield, headlamp, turn signals and right side pocket removed The CB module is still in there just not bolted to anything. I really don't need to disconnect wiring at this point I just need to get the fairing loose from the triple clamp and lay it forward to clean it out completely. This bike has been sitting for 33 years and I have found two mouse houses, one that was in the airbox and air intake tube,( it is now removed) and another in the forward part of the fairing on the right side basically around the headlamp and such. By some small miracle the mice did not chew any of the wiring that I can see (also did not chew up the paper air filter) anyway I really just want to figure out how to get the fairing lose and lay it forward so I can clean any residual droppings, urine and fiberglass insulation that I could not reach. I expected to find at least one mouse house in this scooter so I was prepared to have to clean it out but there is nothing on the web that I can find to explain how to unbolt this fairing. I went to the library and looked at the factory service manual and it does not really explain it either. SOOOO anyone with some knowledge to spare would be a hero right now. I have four days of sunny weather so now is the time.
Life is not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1986 Kawasaki ZN1300 Voyager
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 37 times

Re: ZN1300-A fairing removal

Post by Van Voyager »

I've had all the guts out of mine to clean up the audio connections and better route the the wiring but never had the fairing off. I do know there is a large fairing bracket welded (I think) to the front of the steering stem tube and bolted to the fairing behind the headlight 'cavity'.
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1988 1300 Voyager
Been liked: 220 times

Post by Me Again »

You definitely want to remove the wire harnesses before removal.
That fairing is heavy and letting it dangle from the wires will do some damage.
It has been many years since I took one off but if I remember there are four harnesses plus the compressor gage .
After 33 years those harnesses ( pinch and pull ) are going to be pretty tight
Four bolts up into the fairing and two nuts inside for that bracket on the tree ( straight back from the headlight )
I once brought one back from 10 years under a tarp and it ran good for a couple of years more .
TheFalcro
Streetster
Streetster

Post by TheFalcro »

Me Again wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:48 pm You definitely want to remove the wire harnesses before removal.
That fairing is heavy and letting it dangle from the wires will do some damage.
It has been many years since I took one off but if I remember there are four harnesses plus the compressor gage .
After 33 years those harnesses ( pinch and pull ) are going to be pretty tight
Four bolts up into the fairing and two nuts inside for that bracket on the tree ( straight back from the headlight )
I once brought one back from 10 years under a tarp and it ran good for a couple of years more .
Yes I am definitely at that point now. it is going to come all the way off regarless. I disconnected a couple connectors to look at them and they are pretty unhappy, Not completely corroded but certainly in need of cleaning. Thank you for the advice on the attachments, I had found the two nuts on the triple clamp but had missed the bolts at the back on the top frame bar. Tomorrow I will finish taking the fairing itself off disconnecting the harnesses.Then a can of QD electronic cleaner, a dental flossing brush and some Dielectric grease will treat every connector. I will of course be inspecting the wires for breaks and cracks as well. Today was spent crying over the turpentine left in the tank (expected) and the corrosion in the tank valve (expected but hoped I was wrong) leading me to the conclusion that I will be in search of a used new tank. Meh free scooters and my addiciton to them. I got this with my eyes open lol Remember to keep the shiny side on top Me Again!!
Life is not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride
TheFalcro
Streetster
Streetster

Post by TheFalcro »

Van Voyager wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:06 am I've had all the guts out of mine to clean up the audio connections and better route the the wiring but never had the fairing off. I do know there is a large fairing bracket welded (I think) to the front of the steering stem tube and bolted to the fairing behind the headlight 'cavity'.
Thank you for your input it is good to have. I will be going a little deeper now anyway but knowing the approximate locations of attachment is crucial Thank you

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager 1300 Six”