ZN1300 Coolant Change

Got a tech tip for Voyager 1300's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1986 Kawasaki ZN1300 Voyager
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 37 times

ZN1300 Coolant Change

Post by Van Voyager »

TheFalcro's post regarding removal of the fairing reminded me that I should probably do a coolant flush/fill at some time in the near future and since I need to put a new tire and brake lines on I might as well do the coolant change (and fork fluid change) while I'm at it. So, I'm wondering if I need to remove the fairing to get access to the rad cap. I know that I can remove the cap without removing the fairing but wondering about adding water/coolant with the fairing in place.
jorgeno
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): Kawasaki ZG1300 1986
Kawasaki ZN1300 1986
Suzuki GS1000G 1982
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: ZN1300 Coolant Change

Post by jorgeno »

It’s takes only a couple of minutes to remove the fairing. Really easy work. Don’t be afraid to do it. You will be surprised how easy it is.
If you don’t do it and manage to get access to the cap you will probably spend more time, fiddling around and perhaps saying things that should not be said out load, before you get the job done :-D
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer

Post by Van Voyager »

jorgeno wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:27 pm saying things that should not be said out load, before you get the job done :-D
Nothing my bikes don't hear daily :woohoo:
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer

Post by Van Voyager »

jorgeno wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:27 pm It’s takes only a couple of minutes to remove the fairing. Really easy work.
Are there fairing removal directions in the service manual or do you have any tips? I know about the bracket at the front of the steering tube - not sure about other attachment points.

Perhaps I should reconsider my strategy of taking the opportunity of doing a coolant and fork oil change while the front wheel is off - both jobs would be easier without the fairing in place and, if the fairing does come off fairly easily - I could do that at some other opportune time.
jorgeno
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): Kawasaki ZG1300 1986
Kawasaki ZN1300 1986
Suzuki GS1000G 1982
Been liked: 1 time

Post by jorgeno »

Page 7-15 in the manual.

1. First remove 3 screws at each lower fairings.

2. Remove the two nuts behind the headlight. (Headlight has four screws in each corner behind the rubber seal)

3. Remove left and right turn signal

4. Disconnect leads right besides the fairing stay.

5. Just in case. Remove the strage case in front (4 bolts) to check that the air tube is disconnectet

6. Remove the two bolts at the fairing stay and lift it up toward the front and you are clear to go :-D

It`s not necessary to diconnect the instrument panel.

Good luck
TheFalcro
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 1986 KawasakiVoyager ZN1300-A DFI inline six cylinder
(NOT A VOYAGER XII ZG1200-A1 carbureted inline four cylinder)
Been liked: 0

Post by TheFalcro »

Van Voyager wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:17 am
jorgeno wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:27 pm It’s takes only a couple of minutes to remove the fairing. Really easy work.
Are there fairing removal directions in the service manual or do you have any tips? I know about the bracket at the front of the steering tube - not sure about other attachment points.

Perhaps I should reconsider my strategy of taking the opportunity of doing a coolant and fork oil change while the front wheel is off - both jobs would be easier without the fairing in place and, if the fairing does come off fairly easily - I could do that at some other opportune time.
AS Jorgeno stated

1. First remove 3 screws at each lower fairings.

2. Remove the two nuts behind the headlight. (Headlight has four screws in each corner behind the rubber seal)

3. Remove left and right turn signal

4. Disconnect leads right besides the fairing stay.

5. Just in case. Remove the strage case in front (4 bolts) to check that the air tube is disconnectet

6. Remove the two bolts at the fairing stay and lift it up toward the front and you are clear to go :-D

It`s not necessary to diconnect the instrument panel.

Good luck
[/quote]

Having just done this these instructions from the manual are a good start but they do not prepare you for everything.

!.) Be gentle with the four bulkhead connectors by the stays. mine were VERY well connected and I neded up pullin the internal connector right though the bottome of the fairing. thankfully there was no damage but ther certainly could have been some broken plastic invonlved there.

2.) if you have the "Full Meal Deal with the audio/CB and com package you will need to remove the CB module undet the right storage tray in order to get access to the air hose at the guage unless you want to pull the four screws from the faceplate and pull the guage forward, Related to this is that in addition to the connectors for the bulkheads you will need to disconnect the CB/AM/FM antenna connector and the wired helmet audio and com connectors.

3.) If you have all of the acessories the fairing is quite ungainly if not a bit heavy having a freind there to help lift it off is a good thing plus you get to share the beer/refreshments.

As a final bit of info I was suprised to see that the entire bottom (tank side) of the fiaring was breaking away, so no I have stripped the entire fairing to the shell so that I can repair this. This damage is not from any crash it is simply from use and imo too much weight inside the fairing with too little built in support in the area.

Thankfully I am just beginning the ressurection and Jenny Craig phase of this scooter. The old Clarion audio system will not be returning to it's former home in the fairing!! Like the trunk, bags, trailer hitch and rear lighting it is up for sale on the classifieds. For the audio I am going to put something modern with a flip up screen/Nav, android, BT etc in the spot the cassette deck used to be in.
Life is not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer

Post by Van Voyager »

Thanks for posting these tips.

PS: I sent you an email re: audio gear.
TheFalcro
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 1986 KawasakiVoyager ZN1300-A DFI inline six cylinder
(NOT A VOYAGER XII ZG1200-A1 carbureted inline four cylinder)
Been liked: 0

Post by TheFalcro »

:woohoo:
Van Voyager wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:59 am Thanks for posting these tips.

PS: I sent you an email re: audio gear.
You are very welcome I hope that this helps you avoid some of what I dealt with lol. I have replaied to your email and sent you some pics and information on the audio stuff.
Life is not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager 1300 Six”