Sticky/hard to move turn signal switch

Got a tech tip for Voyager 1300's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

TheFalcro
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 1986 KawasakiVoyager ZN1300-A DFI inline six cylinder
(NOT A VOYAGER XII ZG1200-A1 carbureted inline four cylinder)
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Sticky/hard to move turn signal switch

Post by TheFalcro »

Hello again my fellow two wheel lovers, I have taken the turn signal/horn switch apart from the bar becasue it is exceptionally hard to move to the Left or right "on" position. The horn/mode switch was sticky too but not hard to move from the neutral position to the horn side or to the mode side but it did not want to return to the center or neutral position. There seems to be no corrosion or dirt inside the switch slide and I did put a little tiny bit of 3in1 oil on the slide shaft. It does work better but is still fairly difficult to move. I have no experience with the self cancelling feature on this scooter and I wondered if that may have something to do with it. The module for the self cancel seems to be just an elctronic box (timer perhaps) with no physical "cancel" funtion. I have a factory service manual and supplement coming but it won't be here for a week or two. Does anyone have any experience with these? do I just need to keep cleaning and lubricating the switch until it works smoothly or is there something I don't know regarding the self cancel feature.
Life is not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1986 Kawasaki ZN1300 Voyager
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 37 times

Re: Sticky/hard to move turn signal switch

Post by Van Voyager »

The self cancelling unit is notoriously sticky (even when brand new) on all 1300's models because it's a mechanical unit with the mechanical bits all located within the switch cluster (i.e. there are solenoids in the switch cluster that move the switch back to it's 'Off' position to 'cancel'). I find the cancelling system works respectably well but it does take more effort than a similar vintage systems that cancel 'electronically (like Yamaha's of the day). To manually cancel, just move the switch back to it's Off position (which will also take more effort than you might think would be required.

Couple of other things....
  • The self-cancel feature is based on a two criteria: Distance AND Time (that's a logical AND). So, if you're not moving, as in stopped at a traffic light, the Time will be satisfied but it won't cancel until you start moving again and achieve the required Distance. If, on the other hand, you're moving on the highway, both the required Distance and Time will be achieved quickly (i.e. signals cancel relatively quickly on the highway - compared to 'around town).
  • Just in case you don't know, there's a switch on the cluster to 'turn-off' the self cancelling feature.
There are lots of springs and bits in that self cancelling unity that want to go AWOL if you take it apart for cleaning but it can be done and it will (maybe) free things up a bit.
TheFalcro
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 1986 KawasakiVoyager ZN1300-A DFI inline six cylinder
(NOT A VOYAGER XII ZG1200-A1 carbureted inline four cylinder)
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Sticky/hard to move turn signal switch

Post by TheFalcro »

Van Voyager wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:02 pm The self cancelling unit is notoriously sticky (even when brand new) on all 1300's models because it's a mechanical unit with the mechanical bits all located within the switch cluster (i.e. there are solenoids in the switch cluster that move the switch back to it's 'Off' position to 'cancel'). I find the cancelling system works respectably well but it does take more effort than a similar vintage systems that cancel 'electronically (like Yamaha's of the day). To manually cancel, just move the switch back to it's Off position (which will also take more effort than you might think would be required.

Couple of other things....
  • The self-cancel feature is based on a two criteria: Distance AND Time (that's a logical AND). So, if you're not moving, as in stopped at a traffic light, the Time will be satisfied but it won't cancel until you start moving again and achieve the required Distance. If, on the
<<<<SNIP>>>>

Thank you so much for that information. Extremely valuable. I have it moving relatively freely now but I will not worry about it further until I can get to the point of riding. I am now done with the tear down and clean up of the main sytems and bodywork (I still have the fairing to repair and the tank to clean but no more mouse houses and all the external wiring have been cleaned of their filth) it will be a few more weeks before I get to the "first start" phase. I still have the fuel system to go through and the spark pugs to clean I am going to do a drain and refill on the oil just because it has been in there for 24 years. anyway lot and lots to do and I ramble like crazy lol but I have to wait on funds now.

P.S. Are you still interested in the cassette player?? I have decided that if parts and pieces can go to good homes they shoudl lol.
Life is not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager 1300 Six”