Cruising RPM's

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700 V-Twin.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

jjamison
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Cruising RPM's

Post by jjamison »

I was told by someone that cruising at RPM's less than about 2500 was hard on a V-twin engine (A Harley rider). I know that there are a lot of guys on here with tens of thousands of miles on your bikes. What are your opinions on this?
Thanks,
Steverides5
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2017 Voyager 1700
1993 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic
1967 R69S BMW
1982 Honda CB900C
1995 KTM 400 LC4
Been liked: 6 times

Re: Cruising RPM's

Post by Steverides5 »

Rpm straight up isn’t too important. A stock 1700 makes its best torque and HP at right around 3000. What you don’t want to do is lug the engine too long. This causes overheating and generally not good for the motor. If the bike has not enough power to accelerate or is hard to keep speed at an incline then downshift. I’ve noticed on mine also that I think they engineered the engine to make most of its power at a faster RPM than a comparative Harley is to keep the water pump spinning for better cooling. Keep the engine in the rpm range that it runs comfortably in and you’ll be fine.
Having fun whenever possible is never overrated!
HMB Don
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 2012 Voyager 1700
Been liked: 81 times

Post by HMB Don »

I understand your dilemma, I too was told that and to only use 20-50 engine oil.

Almost home from a motorcycle trip. I'm pulling a Hannigan trailer. Most of my riding I like to do at 65 mph which has my rpm at 2,300. At 55 mph the rpm is 1,900, which is way below 2,500. I don't down shift often, I stuff into 6th gear and leave it there. There have been times in construction zones at 45 mph I'm in 6th gear, this is 1500 rpm range and it pulls clean back up to 65 mph.

Last week while I was waiting for rain to clear, I was talking to some others riders waiting for the same thing. One of the other riders was riding a hopped up Harley, he stated him had to keep his engine above 2,500 rpm. But why is a big question, what cam, his jetting or how is the mapping on the ecu?

My 1700 is made to be ridden at low rpm. You ever rev one up past 3,000 rpm and they just don't pull very hard. So the mapping is for low engine speeds.
Don Medina
NorCal Voyagers Club

2012 Voyager 1700
hank43
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2009 Vulcan Voyager Now A
Champion Trike
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by hank43 »

Agree with Don, these Kaw engines are also used in farm tractors. Get the ECU upgrade, and you can pull a semi trailer with em! :rolling: :laughing:
Never meddle in the affairs of a dragon, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
jjamison
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager

Post by jjamison »

Thank you all for the input. I had the Ivan flash done and looking at his HP and torque curves I have to agree with you all. It's not a Harley and I guess we don't need to worry about what's good for a Harley.
ridermike
Current bike(s): 2010 1700 Voyager

Post by ridermike »

Cruisin on the highway I am usually around 3k when going easy

Return to “General - Voyager 1700 V-Twin”