Dark Side on my 1700

Got a tech tip for Vulcan Voyager 1700's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Redeye
Current bike(s): 2017 kawasaki voyager 2020 Kawasaki 250
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Dark Side on my 1700

Post by Redeye »

Happy New Year from a new member and Kawi rider. Last Saturday I purchased my new to me 2017 Voyager 1700 with 5713 miles on the odo. PO did the Ivan flash in October 2017. Has Chuckster risers and air intake. He also added the Kawasaki pillow seat. All I need to add for a perfect riding scoot is a backrest & cup holder. :laughing:
The rear tire is oem and nearly wore out.. I'm thinking of going to the dark side for replacement. Any dark sider here? I'm going to call around today to try and find a shop to do the whole job. Rich in sacramento
cranky
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2003 Voyager
Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 78 times

Re: Dark Side on my 1700

Post by cranky »

... go review hundreds of other thoughts about it...
https://darkside.nwff.info/?p=safety
'03 Voyager - http://tinyurl.com/mqtgpwp VROC pics of Gina
Cranky - Bill Snodgrass AVA # 6544. VROC # 16804
Cranked >128K miles, Mtn bike-no motor!!!
San Jose, KalEfornYa
Redeye
Current bike(s): 2017 kawasaki voyager 2020 Kawasaki 250

Post by Redeye »

TY. I found an installer close to home.
Snakeranch
Current bike(s): 2011 Vaquero

Post by Snakeranch »

Redeye wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:48 pm Happy New Year from a new member and Kawi rider. Last Saturday I purchased my new to me 2017 Voyager 1700 with 5713 miles on the odo. PO did the Ivan flash in October 2017. Has Chuckster risers and air intake. He also added the Kawasaki pillow seat. All I need to add for a perfect riding scoot is a backrest & cup holder. :laughing:
The rear tire is oem and nearly wore out.. I'm thinking of going to the dark side for replacement. Any dark sider here? I'm going to call around today to try and find a shop to do the whole job. Rich in Sacramento
Hi Rich, I'm in Stockton, Ca.

I'm running a Yokohama Avid Ascend LRR. The LRR stands for light rolling resistance. Installed it when the OEM wore out. Max air pressure is 51 psi and I run it there. Max load weight is 1356 pounds.

I really love this tire because when it breaks in my fuel mileage went up and the ride is so smooth. I don't feel the road reflectors any more.

I installed a trunk on my skoot and when I went across the truck scales in Oregon with my wife on the back and the bags and trunk full, my front axle weight was 450 pounds but the rear axle was 950 pounds. Total weight was 1400 pounds with full fuel.

That OEM rear tire was only rated for 835 pounds. Sooo it wasn't going to cut it.

I was able to get over 28,000 miles on it before I had to change it. The cord started to separate. But I don't worry about that happening. I have a Commander II on the front and one of them had a cord separation also, and it had about 7,000 miles on it which is not much for how my tires last.

Any ways give me a call if you want to talk about this farther. :thmup: :thmup:

I

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager 1700 V-Twin”