Front axle torque spec

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager 1300 Six-Cylinder.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1986 Kawasaki ZN1300 Voyager
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 37 times

Front axle torque spec

Post by Van Voyager »

Anyone know where to find the front axle torque spec for an 86 ZN1300? The manual set I have (I think from this site?) has the voyager bits as addendum to the base model (KZ1300) but the base model manual is for 79 to 83 KZ1300. The ZN1300 front axle has a different setup than the earlier KZ1300s. I suspect they changed the fork setup (4 pinch bolts vs one for the ZN) in about 84 ? . KZ1300 manual shows axle torque at 58ft.lbs (which I'm using for now)
jorgeno
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): Kawasaki ZG1300 1986
Kawasaki ZN1300 1986
Suzuki GS1000G 1982
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Front axle torque spec

Post by jorgeno »

Hi Mr. V

That is correct torque. Look at page 1-17 in the manual (if you have it? :-)

Front axle nut 58 ft-lb and rear Axel nut 72 ft-lb
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer

Post by Van Voyager »

Thanks Jorgeno.
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer

Post by Van Voyager »

Got everything back together and notice there's a very small gap between the right hand wheel spacer and the fork boss. I know I have the spacer oriented properly as there are wear marks where the seal rubs on the spacer. The spacer doesn't spin so it binding against something - which it should. I wasn't paying enough attention when I took the wheel off so not sure if that gap was there before I too the wheel off or not:
jorgeno
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): Kawasaki ZG1300 1986
Kawasaki ZN1300 1986
Suzuki GS1000G 1982
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Post by jorgeno »

Hmm..I think it is not correct mounted. I dont have a gap on mine.
Right side
Right side
Left side
Left side
Hmm..I think it is not correct mounted.

Need to clean it, but you will see it on the Pictures :-)
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer

Post by Van Voyager »

Hi Jorjeno. Thanks for responding.

I first snug up the pinch bolt, then tighten the axle nut to 58ft.lbs, then tighten the pinch bolt fully. Not sure if that's the right sequence or not as I don't have the correct manual (but that's similar to the sequence for the older 1300's.

In any case, I'll pull the axle out again to make sure I haven't got something stuck in-between the fork and the spacer.
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer

Post by Van Voyager »

Took the axle out to see what's causing the spacer gap problem and I figured out what's going on. I had assumed the bolt shoulder on the right hand end of the axle butted against a 'boss' in the left fork leg but it doesn't. So because I'm not fully tightening the pinch bolt when torquing the axle nut, the bolt shoulder pulls through the fork leg and against the spacer compressing the hub bearing 'stack' resulting in a narrow gap between the fork and the left spacer.

Now, I could tighten the pinch bolt first then the axle but that would pull the lower fork leg over slightly from where it appears to want to rest. It seems to me that probably the original tightening order I used (axle first, then pinch bolt - leaving a small gap) is probably the right way to do it for optimal fork movement. Opinions?

PS: before tightening the pinch bolt fully, I compress the forks several times to ensure the axle and forks are 'seated' properly.

Return to “General - Voyager 1300 Six”