1985 Voyager won't start

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager 1300 Six-Cylinder.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

vfaab
Current bike(s): 1985 Kawasaki Voyager ZN1300
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

1985 Voyager won't start

Post by vfaab »

I need help. My Voyager won't start: Ignition key on, I can here the fuel pump is working, push the starter button -> start relay clicks one time. I have now changed the start relay in the fuse box and the starter relay solenoid (on the other side of the bike). Anyone that have an idea on what the problem is?
The battery is ok.

I could not get a solenoid for the 85 so I bought one for a 88. Is this the same part? If not, where can I buy one?

Vegard from Norway
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1986 Kawasaki ZN1300 Voyager
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 37 times

Re: 1985 Voyager won't start

Post by Van Voyager »

vfaab wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 6:50 pm I need help. My Voyager won't start: Ignition key on, I can here the fuel pump is working, push the starter button -> start relay clicks one time. I have now changed the start relay in the fuse box and the starter relay solenoid (on the other side of the bike). Anyone that have an idea on what the problem is?
The battery is ok.

I could not get a solenoid for the 85 so I bought one for a 88. Is this the same part? If not, where can I buy one?

Vegard from Norway
Have you tried bypassing the solenoid?

You can check partzilla for the solenoid part number and see which other models use the same solenoid.
vfaab
Current bike(s): 1985 Kawasaki Voyager ZN1300
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: 1985 Voyager won't start

Post by vfaab »

Thank you for your help. I checked out partzilla and found out the solenoid was interchangeable between the 85 and 88 model.

I have not bypassed the solenoid but will try to do this evening.

When I installed the new solenoid I got the error code 23: Action "Perform "Engine Speed Signal Test". If the meter readings are wrong what part is it that may be malfunctioning.

Return to “General - Voyager 1300 Six”