Front Axle Speed Sensor positioning

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager 1300 Six-Cylinder.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1986 Kawasaki ZN1300 Voyager
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 37 times

Front Axle Speed Sensor positioning

Post by Van Voyager »

I originally posted this question in the KZ1300 site thinking the ZG owners out there could shed some light on this but then it occurred to me that may the Voyager 1200 uses a similar setup.....

I put a new tire on the front of my 86 ZN1300 and noticed a couple things about the front wheel speed sensor.

The rubber boot that protects the wires emerging from the speed sensor is torn. Fiches shows the entire unit as one assembly. Have others figured out a way to repair a torn rubber boot. There's a metal ring that looks a bit like a 'nut' (not really a nut - but it does have 'flats') right a the base - holding the boot to the sensor (maybe?) Does that 'nut' unscrew or is it a press fit?

There are a couple of small 'protrusions' on the wheel side of the left fork leg which look like they're there to prevent the sensor body from spinning (not really required as tightening the axle bearing/spacer stack prevents the sensor from turning). Is the corresponding sensor body tab supposed to go in-between those fork leg protrusions? On my bike, the sensor tab was in front of the fork protrusions - which would allow the sensor to rotate forward (except it's 'clamped' in place by the axle). It's possible my sensor was positioned incorrectly, however, if I rotate the sensor so that it's tabs are in-between the fork leg protrusions, the wires emerge from the bottom of the sensor at quite an angle. Does that make sense?

Sensor Tab (you can see the torn rubber wire boot on the top left, and the metal ring that holds the boot on):

Fork Leg Protrusions:

Should it be like this:

Or Like this (this is the way I found it):

Found this in the manual - clear as mud. I guess I'll try to gauge the angle of that 'flat' on the speed sensor in the picture below aginst how it's installed on my bike.

Do the 1200 voyagers have a similar setup? Thanks for any advice.
ghostler
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII, 1971 Honda CB100
Asphalt, the final frontier; these are the treks of the Kawasaki Voyager; its continuing mission to explore strange new roads, to seek out new sites, new bed & breakfasts, to boldly ride where no one has ridden before.
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 10 times

Re: Front Axle Speed Sensor positioning

Post by ghostler »

Restudying the photos, looks a little hard to tell. Which way when reseated on axle does it seem to fit like a glove and stays put without much motion fore or back when wheel is rotated? And wheel when remounted, mounts without any clearance or alignment problems? And sensor wiring seems to fit without being overly stretched?

I know this sounds little like Yoda talking to Luke to "Use the Force" when he was trying to blow up the Death Star using the high tech aiming computer. :rolling: But sometimes I've done such when it wasn't clear, and things worked out anyway. ;-)

Where boot is torn, you might be able to use heat shrink tubing or wrap black electrical tape. Wrap starting closest to fork side of boot, moving down over and past tear. Put a mini-zip tie over the end of the tape so it doesn't unravel with age. This will help to keep dust and water out.
George Hostler
Clovis, NM, US

Christian Motorcycle Association
Salvation Army Motorcycle Ministry, Western Territory
http://tsammcentral.org/
2001 Kawasaki ZG1200 Voyager XII
1971 Honda CB100
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1986 Kawasaki ZN1300 Voyager
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by Van Voyager »

Hi George. Thanks for the post.

The most likely position - while keeping the wire at a reasonable angle, is with the sensor tab in front of the fork tab - seems counter-intuitive as that puts the tab in front of it's fork stop. In any case, nothing's going to rotate since clamping the axle nut prevents the sensor from spinning.

I thought of using some shrink tubing on that rubber boot - still may go that route, but at this point, I'm going to try some self fusing rubber tape - if I can find some.
ghostler
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII, 1971 Honda CB100
Asphalt, the final frontier; these are the treks of the Kawasaki Voyager; its continuing mission to explore strange new roads, to seek out new sites, new bed & breakfasts, to boldly ride where no one has ridden before.
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 10 times

Post by ghostler »

Van Voyager wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:39 am Hi George. Thanks for the post.
You're welcome.
The most likely position - while keeping the wire at a reasonable angle, is with the sensor tab in front of the fork tab - seems counter-intuitive as that puts the tab in front of it's fork stop. In any case, nothing's going to rotate since clamping the axle nut prevents the sensor from spinning.
I think that the second shorter tab to the rear of the first fork alignment tab arrests movement of the horizontal middle ridge of the sensor, so then the sensor tab in front of the fork tab would make sense.
I thought of using some shrink tubing on that rubber boot - still may go that route, but at this point, I'm going to try some self fusing rubber tape - if I can find some.
You are looking for what used to be called, "electrical waterproofing tape", which will be in the electrical section of most home improvement centers that has a decent electrical parts isle.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/3M-Temflex-215 ... ft/3129711
3m-temflex-rubber-splicing-tape-2155.jpg
3m-temflex-rubber-splicing-tape-2155.jpg (20.37 KiB) Viewed 191 times
George Hostler
Clovis, NM, US

Christian Motorcycle Association
Salvation Army Motorcycle Ministry, Western Territory
http://tsammcentral.org/
2001 Kawasaki ZG1200 Voyager XII
1971 Honda CB100

Return to “General - Voyager 1300 Six”