84 Voyager petcock/fuel shutoff

Got a tech tip for Voyager 1300's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Dragonfly
Current bike(s): ZN1300
GL1200
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

84 Voyager petcock/fuel shutoff

Post by Dragonfly »

just picked up an 84 Voyager. Hasn't run in approx. 2 yrs. Removed tank due to rust, prepping for treatment and discover the petcock is completely shot. Everything on the petcock inside the tank is gone!
I cannot locate a petcock for an 84....will an 86 work??
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1986 Kawasaki ZN1300 Voyager
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 37 times

Re: 84 Voyager petcock/fuel shutoff

Post by Van Voyager »

Partzilla shows the 84 and 86 using the same tap, in fact, I believe all model years of ZN1300's utilize the same tap.

I know that the tap from a GPZ900R fits a KZ1300 gas tank (need to add a vacuum hose and the Reserve level is slightly different) but I'm not sure if the KZ1300 tap has the same tank bolt spacing as the ZN1300. Might be worth exploring if you're having trouble finding a ZN1300 tap. If it works there are several pluses to going this route:
  • a new source of taps
  • relatively inexpensive aftermarket options (I think)
  • It comes with an in-tank filter - filters for the OEM ZN1300 taps appear to be unobtainable
  • Vacuum fuel shut-off is a big plus in my books
  • Better tap design without goofy internal 'cone' selector (which is prone to wear)
  • Sediment bowl in the tap (which is lacking on the ZN1300 tap)
Dragonfly
GL1200

Post by Dragonfly »

I'll look into that. Thanks for the info.
Now to figure out what to do for a fuel pump....another part that I need and is no longer available either.
May have to go the route of a universal 12v fuel pump??
Dragonfly
GL1200

Post by Dragonfly »

I'm pretty sure this will work, it's for a Vulcan 1500. I'll have to re-route new fuel line to connect to the side of petcock instead of straight out the rear directly behind the petcock like the original.
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1986 Kawasaki ZN1300 Voyager
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by Van Voyager »

Here are some measurements I made of my tap. The critical measurement is the bolt hole spacing which I show as 43.5mm - not sure how accurate that is as there seems to be various taps at 44mm spacing. If you have your original tap, you should confirm the spacing measurement and check if the potential replacement has the same spacing.

Edit: if you can confirm the OEM bolt spacing (and any other measurements) and let me know, I'll update the drawing and repost (if necessary).

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager 1300 Six”