Bad fuel pump from sitting several years

Got a tech tip for Voyager 1300's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Dragonfly
Current bike(s): ZN1300
GL1200
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Bad fuel pump from sitting several years

Post by Dragonfly »

Fuel pump is bad. New pumps are no longer available. Found 3 used on E-Bay priced from $224-$300, anywhere from no warranty up to 30 days..... that's insane to spend that kind of money on a used pump that could puke a week or a month after installing it.
Has anyone replaced their pump with a universal in-line pump, and if so what model/brand?
I believe a universal in-line pump with a working pressure of approx. 40 psi should work, it will maintain fuel to pressure regulator which I believe regulates pressure around 32-36psi.....any thoughts/input are appreciated
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1986 Kawasaki ZN1300 Voyager
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 37 times

Re: Bad fuel pump from sitting several years

Post by Van Voyager »

Are you sure the fuel pump is bad? There's a relay that turns it off and on - could be the relay is goofy.
Dragonfly
Current bike(s): ZN1300
GL1200

Post by Dragonfly »

Van Voyager wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:14 pm Are you sure the fuel pump is bad? There's a relay that turns it off and on - could be the relay is goofy.
yes, positive it's the pump. Tested the power to pump and it gets power for several seconds when keyed on....the pump does nothing!
The fuel was dark brown and smelled like "old varnish/shellac" . It hardened/gummed up the pump and froze it. I've soaked it internally with carb cleaner for several days and re-installed, tapped/hammered it and nothing....it's a goner.
I have been looking at fuel pumps for a couple of days now and have very few results. I'm about fit to be tied!!
I'm hoping someone replaced their pump already and can point me towards the pump they used...there are literally a million pump options to look through to try to find what I actually need :tho:
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1986 Kawasaki ZN1300 Voyager
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by Van Voyager »

Check KZ1300.com. Some of the KZ's were fuel injected and I suspect they use the same pump as the ZN's so somone there may have found a replacement.
samchar12
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 1988 ZN1300
1982 GL500i

Post by samchar12 »

Somebody emailed me this a number of years ago from the Yahoo Voyagers Group. I hope it helps.

The last time this was discussed here, I took the following notes:
“Airtex E8445 in its place. It is a generic in-line pump with the inlet on one end and the outlet on the other end. I made a spacer to make up the difference in diameter between the smaller Airtex and the pump mount and put the outlet end forward and the inlet on the back. This allowed me to install a common in-line fuel filter up top, route the line to the back of the pump and then forward up to the fuel rail. This also eliminates the oddball OEM 3/8" to 5/16" rubber hose that is pretty much impossible to find anywhere.”

Also recommended but not detailed was a 1980 Cadillac El Dorado fuel pump.

I have also hard tell that Nissan 280ZX sportscar engines from those years may take a similar pump. Those years the Datsun Maxima had a fuel injection option in the 6 cylinder models. Being from the era, volume nad pressure should be similar given that the auto engine sizes are 2x the Voyager those pumps should be sufficient.

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager 1300 Six”