Reserve Lighting Module Location - ZN1300

Got a tech tip for Voyager 1300's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1986 Kawasaki ZN1300 Voyager
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 37 times

Reserve Lighting Module Location - ZN1300

Post by Van Voyager »

I was riding in the evening for the first time in a long while a few days ago and the headlight was just about non existent. I'm measuring about 8 volts at the headlamp connector (low beam) on my 89 ZN1300. Ground wire is good (less than 1 ohm to the ground side of battery). I have not measured voltage at all the connectors (or the H/L Switch) yet, but I'm wondering if it would be unusual for the reserve lighting module to go south? And, where is the module located - based on the connector in the wiring diagram it seems to be in the fairing somewhere?
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer

Re: Reserve Lighting Module Location - ZN1300

Post by Van Voyager »

Disassembled and cleaned the H/L Beam switch. Measuring almost 12v at the power side of the switch contacts (so I think the headlight module is good) but only picked up another volt at the headlight (after cleaning contacts - still down 3 volts). The wiring diagram shows only 2 connectors (not including the bulb connector) between the switch and the headlamp - one of them has to be funky (or there's a weak wire).
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1988 1300 Voyager
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 219 times

Post by Me Again »

Probably would not be a bad idea to check the relay in the fuse box. It may be going south.
Swap it with any other relay and see what happens
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer

Post by Van Voyager »

Thanks for your note MA. Yes, swapping relays was the first thing I tried before getting the ohmmeter out. I traced at least part of the the problem down to a bad R/R connector (see pix) but I'm also seeing about 1/2 volt between the ground at the headlight and battery ground so it's probable I've got multiple issues going on. I can't find where the various ground wires in the harness are 'bused' together.

Finding the 4 pin connector shells locally is proving a bit of a challenge - need to wait until Monday when a local electronics store opens up to find out. In the meantime, I've ordered some from Vintage Connectors.

ImageImage
Curious that only 2 of the 3 legs appear to be overheating.
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1988 1300 Voyager
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 219 times

Post by Me Again »

That would slow you down.
I have one of those also but a 6 pin from the igniter.
Got the bike running but lost the digital dash (lights work but no digits )
According to the trouble shooter mine goes back to the same 4 pin you show .

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager 1300 Six”