New Owner 2018 Voyager

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700 V-Twin.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

mcycle68
Current bike(s): 2018 Kawasaki Voyager
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

New Owner 2018 Voyager

Post by mcycle68 »

I am picking up my new 2018 Voyager 1700 in a couple days. I'm looking for some advice from existing owners on a few things.

USB - I would like to get a dual USB charger into one of the glove boxes for an iPhone and bluetooth xmitter.

Battery Tender - there will likely be a few times during the year the bike will sit idle for a few weeks.

Driver Backrest - looking for info on a driver backrest (adjustable and/or removable would be great)

Any info on specific hardware and where to find it would be appreciated. Finally, I keep reading about IVAN's ECU flash
and would love to hear from anyone that's had it done. I figured I'd wait till I've got a couple K miles before making
a decision on IVANs.

I'm replacing a Honda VTX1300 and do plan to do some trips on the Voyager. I completed a USA Four Corners Tour back in 2010 on
the VTX (yes, mildly insane....), and I'm thinking about trying it again next year on the Voyager. The USA Four Corners Tour is
a trip to all four corners of the continental US in 21 days or less. ( www.sc-ma.com has info under the "Rides" tab )

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Jack
jjamison
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager

Re: New Owner 2018 Voyager

Post by jjamison »

I bought a new 2018 back in September. I was actually a little disappointed in the low rpm performance. I just had Ivan flash my ECU (at 1200 miles) and I installed it yesterday.
Well worth the money, a lot smoother, you can actually lug it down to 2000 rpm and it will recover without shuddering. There are alot of good things being said about Ivan's flash and I haven't seen anything bad mentioned. I hesitated for along time due to warranty concerns but finally bit the bullet.
I can't help you out with the other items though.
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1986 Kawasaki ZN1300 Voyager
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by Van Voyager »

Do the 1700's come with an AGM battery (my 1500 did - almost 20 years ago)? If so, you don't need a battery tender.
Steverides5
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2017 Voyager 1700
1993 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic
1967 R69S BMW
1982 Honda CB900C
1995 KTM 400 LC4
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Steverides5 »

Backrest from Grasshopper. Inexpensive and works well for the price.
Attachments
8E4B3B93-D137-4365-945F-993FAD7B3740.jpeg
Having fun whenever possible is never overrated!
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): Phone 337-781-8158
Home Phone disconnected.
Previous bikes. Yamaha 180, Honda CM200T, Suzuki 1000LNKawasaki ZRX1100.
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Mr Jensee »

Van I have an Odyssey AGM battery on my 1200 and I strongly recommend keeping it on the tender when not riding. This will extend the life of any AGM. The only downside of using a tender on a regular lead acid battery is it boiling the water out over time.
For Voyager XII Manuals click the link below.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao3K0Ai2gvglgS3l7J4pBJrjfBhc
richey
Current bike(s): Goldwing, Voyager

Post by richey »

Check this out from Amazon...dual usb charging ports and a voltmeter for $9.99. It plugs into the 12v socket.
Just an fyi...if the cranking voltage drops below 10v while starting it's time for a charge or new battery.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JA ... UTF8&psc=1
Bulldog59
Current bike(s): 2021 Voyager "Gunner"

Post by Bulldog59 »

Is this Voltmeter/USB waterproof or do you just remove it in bad weather? Thank you
Bulldog
2021 Voyager
HMB Don
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 2012 Voyager 1700
Been liked: 81 times

Post by HMB Don »

I installed a USB port in the trunk, wired it to the account terminal under the seat. Cycle gear $15.00. My backrest is a Corbin, with a Corbin seat $$$$$. Ivan ECU flash, best money spent, I've had mine for 80,000 miles? I have a 2012, bought my Voyager just after Christmas 2011. The battery last until the fall of 2015, one day it just seemed slow to crank the engine so bought a new Lithium battery. Its a shorai battery, weight is 3.1 pounds, its been a good battery for 5 years. During the Eastern Regional ride-in this year the mornings were in the low 30s and the battery cranked with no problem. Only problem with the Shorai is the price and you have to use a Shorai battery charger also expensive. I've been wondering how long it will last?

For tire if you plan on doing for corners. I use Dunlop american elite, last year did a trip of a lifetime, to Alaska 13,000 miles pulling a trailer. A month later did the Eastern Regional ride-in another 5,000 miles for a total of 18,000 miles. No trailer During the ride-in, when i removed the tire for this last trip it still had 3/32s of wear left. I do my own tire balancing.

Oil, i use Amsiol in my Voyager 10/40. Because I can go 10,000 miles between oil changes or last year it was 13,000 mile before I changed the oil. It didn't use any oil! My Voyager has lots of miles on it. One thing is my Voyager took 24k to break in, and used some oil in those early miles.

Everyone enjoy those Voyagers and maybe see you all at the AVA International Rally in June 2021.
September 2020
September 2020
These users liked HMB Don's post:
hank43 (Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:43 pm)
Rating: 12.5%
Don Medina
NorCal Voyagers Club

2012 Voyager 1700
hank43
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2009 Vulcan Voyager Now A
Champion Trike
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by hank43 »

mcycle68 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:57 pm I am picking up my new 2018 Voyager 1700 in a couple days. I'm looking for some advice from existing owners on a few things.

USB - I would like to get a dual USB charger into one of the glove boxes for an iPhone and bluetooth xmitter.

Battery Tender - there will likely be a few times during the year the bike will sit idle for a few weeks.

Driver Backrest - looking for info on a driver backrest (adjustable and/or removable would be great)

Any info on specific hardware and where to find it would be appreciated. Finally, I keep reading about IVAN's ECU flash
and would love to hear from anyone that's had it done. I figured I'd wait till I've got a couple K miles before making
a decision on IVANs.

I'm replacing a Honda VTX1300 and do plan to do some trips on the Voyager. I completed a USA Four Corners Tour back in 2010 on
the VTX (yes, mildly insane....), and I'm thinking about trying it again next year on the Voyager. The USA Four Corners Tour is
a trip to all four corners of the continental US in 21 days or less. ( www.sc-ma.com has info under the "Rides" tab )

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Jack
Jack;
Like Don Medina, I too have a 1700, bought in 2010, Corbin seat and backrest, IVAN-ized , (I think I was the first one ) never regretted doing so.
As for the Battery Tender, I have and use one, for what they cost, and depending where you live, it's cheap insurance. Wife and I had the bike Triked by Champion (Same trike as Don's wife Trish). Tons of room in the trike trunk! With the Ivan flash, I get much much better performance, and a little better MPG. I also added Temperature and Ammeter (Digital) gauges, Radio Mount and antenna mount for my Ham Radio antennas.
Never meddle in the affairs of a dragon, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Return to “General - Voyager 1700 V-Twin”