Cooling Issues

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700 V-Twin.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

MOTOR5
Current bike(s): 2012 Kawasaki Voyager 1700 ABS
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0

Cooling Issues

Post by MOTOR5 »

My 2012 Voyager temp gauge hovers around the 3/4 to H area, and when its hot outside its always near the H. I have tried several things to cool it off like add Rotella T6, opened the vents, but the fan keeps blowing and it keeps hovering around the H. I just don't get it and I'm really not mechanically inclined which is why I bought this bike in the first place ahead of a Harley -because I didn't want to spend time working on it daily. I don't want it to burn up, so any advice would be great. I don't mind the heat of the bike, I am just worried its going to melt into the ground. Thanks
stoogedad
Current bike(s): 1990 Voyager
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Cooling Issues

Post by stoogedad »

First, if it is running near H, even at slower non-highway speeds, I would check the coolant overflow tube that runs from your coolant cap (under the fake gas tank) to the overflow coolant tank (located on the left side of your bike). If it is "pinched", which is very easy to do, it will cause a high pressure situation which will send the bike, and the temp gauge way up on the high side.

Eventually, it can cause the bike to major overheat and pop some less than strong hoses.

Second, mine runs just a few ticks over Cold when I'm just riding around town; usually under 50mph. At constant highway speeds of between 60 and 70 mph, I will be about 3 or 3 1/2 ticks from HOT. If I rep it up to between 70 +, then I hover 2 1/2 ticks from HOT.
Should it be "a little" cooler at these ranges; probably. I'm thinking that the radiator has a very partial blockage, which shows why this happens to me. Not a problem, yet, as I don't go on long trips very often.
cranky
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2003 Voyager
Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 78 times

Post by cranky »

... methinks you folks are talking apples and oranges... different scoots...?????
'03 Voyager - http://tinyurl.com/mqtgpwp VROC pics of Gina
Cranky - Bill Snodgrass AVA # 6544. VROC # 16804
Cranked >128K miles, Mtn bike-no motor!!!
San Jose, KalEfornYa
HMB Don
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 2012 Voyager 1700
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 81 times

Post by HMB Don »

This is a shock, but they just run hot. Is yours stock? What weight oil? Is it stock coolant?

I have the same model, I've cured all of my heating issues.
Don Medina
NorCal Voyagers Club

2012 Voyager 1700

Return to “General - Voyager 1700 V-Twin”