rear brake efficacy

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager 1300 Six-Cylinder.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

1428 voyager
Current bike(s): ZN 1300, Vmax 1200
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

rear brake efficacy

Post by 1428 voyager »

Hi to all,
I couple of months I restore ZN 1300, bike is now running and I test it on road.
On the rear master cylinder I inserted new piston with new rubber - original Kawasaki.
all brake system was vented, no bubbles, no leakage or any failure, thickness of brake disc is enought , braking pads have 80%
I did this job many times on other bikes....

But according to my feeling rear brake is´t strong enought, braking force is so low,lever is too soft.
If I compare it with other bikes, which I had, this rear brake has very low efficacy.
I fully understad that this is about personal feelings and 1300 six is heavy bike.
But how brake yours rear brake?
triton28
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 1987 ZG-1200 B1
1987 ZG-1200 B1
1990 ZG-1200 B4
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 234 times

Re: rear brake efficacy

Post by triton28 »

I don't now about the 1300 but the 4 cylinder Voyager needs to be on the side stand to get all the air out of the rear caliper so the 1300 would probably need to be leaning to the right since your caliper is on the LH side of the rear wheel. Just a thought,
Dave
GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): Temporarily none.
Has liked: 430 times
Been liked: 391 times

Post by GrandpaDenny »

triton28 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 4:39 pm I don't now about the 1300 but the 4 cylinder Voyager needs to be on the side stand to get all the air out of the rear caliper so the 1300 would probably need to be leaning to the right since your caliper is on the LH side of the rear wheel. Just a thought,
Dave
Really? Never heard this one before. I changed the fluid with the bike on the center stand and the rear pedal is firm as a witches' .... um we'll stop there.

On a related note, today would be a great day to change the brake lines, but it's hotter'n a witches'... um...
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
2000 Voyager XII "Gertrude" - deceased

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

Voyager XII Manuals:
https://amervoyassoc.org/zg1200manuals.php
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1986 Kawasaki ZN1300 Voyager
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by Van Voyager »

1428 voyager wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:44 pm Hi to all,
I couple of months I restore ZN 1300, bike is now running and I test it on road.
On the rear master cylinder I inserted new piston with new rubber - original Kawasaki.
all brake system was vented, no bubbles, no leakage or any failure, thickness of brake disc is enought , braking pads have 80%
I did this job many times on other bikes....

But according to my feeling rear brake is´t strong enought, braking force is so low,lever is too soft.
If I compare it with other bikes, which I had, this rear brake has very low efficacy.
I fully understad that this is about personal feelings and 1300 six is heavy bike.
But how brake yours rear brake?
Rear brake (and front) work pretty well on my 86 ZN1300 Definitly not soft. 'Soft' typically indicates air still in the circuit.

Return to “General - Voyager 1300 Six”