What's normal for temperature guage?

Got a tech tip for Vulcan Voyager 1700's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

JimMoo
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2017 Kawasaki Voyager
Ivan ECU Flash
2008 Yamaha Road Star Silverado
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

What's normal for temperature guage?

Post by JimMoo »

I took my 2017 Voyager out for a 45 minute ride yesterday. In Rochester, NY it was 73 degrees ( a record high). The last 20 minutes of the ride the temp gauge went 3/4 of the way to red which seemed high to me for such a cool day. What's normal.

The bike has 10,000 miles starting its 4th year. Getting the full service maintenance done in the next month so I know for sure the bike is at least up to the completed recommended service.

I knew the transmission was clunky but it sure was noticeable compared to my Yamaha Road Star. I am looking forward to putting lots of miles on her and getting very comfortable with my new baby!

Jim
mayhem8
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2003 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 24 times

Re: What's normal for temperature guage?

Post by mayhem8 »

If I'm just riding, mine runs at about 1/3rd or so of the way up. If I'm stopped and let it idle long enough it may climb up to the range you mentioned, but once I start moving again it will come right back down.
HMB Don
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 2012 Voyager 1700
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 81 times

Post by HMB Don »

I see you have the the Ivan ECU flash. On mine with the Ivan ECU flash, it runs on the first line pasted the middle, during hiway riding, when in town it does go to the nest line.

You Voyager is still not broken in, that will happen some time after 25,000 miles. The shifting and clunking will lessen.
Things that I did to help lessen the the higher temperatures. Use only 10-40 engine oil, flush cooling system and use 91 octane fuel. Again I did notice things change after 25,000 miles.
Don Medina
NorCal Voyagers Club

2012 Voyager 1700
JimMoo
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2017 Kawasaki Voyager
Ivan ECU Flash
2008 Yamaha Road Star Silverado
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Post by JimMoo »

thanks all for the input.
ragergreg
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2018 Kawasaki Voyager, 2014 Suzuki Hayabusa, 1972 Kawasaki H2
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by ragergreg »

I have a 2018 VN1700 Voyager. The day I brought the bike home it was almost in the RED. I called the dealer who told me that year just runs hot. So a week later when the hair grew back on my legs I drained the coolant and put in "Engine Ice", that helped a little not much. Getting the ECU Flashed by Ivan was perfect. I have done a ton of videos on YouTube on this bike, below is the one I did the other day. Riding in Myrtle Beach, 100 degree heat index stuck in traffic intentionally, bike never got over 3/4 the way up. Before the flash guaranteed would have overheated or been doing serious damage to the engine and my legs. That video is long, but you can skip thru to different places to keep an eye on the gauges. Hit the subscribe and look at the playlist I have one on how to change the ECU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue5oDR8vzD8

Good luck

Greg

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager 1700 V-Twin”