Carburetor removal

Got a tech tip for Voyager 12's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Cherryriver
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2009 FJR1300
2000 VFR800
1999 CBR1100XX
1986 ZG1200
Permitted to maintain the Missus' Ninja 1000LT
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Carburetor removal

Post by Cherryriver »

I've just acquired an '86; well, it more or less fell on me. Only 6000 miles and quite nice cosmetically. But, it's been sitting for at least ten years.
I'm fine with that. I've taken more than a few bikes like this on as projects and had good success.
For this one, the first order of business is getting the carbs off and apart for inspection and possibly renewing.
My default is always to go the factory service manual, and I just can't find the specified procedure for removing the carbs. If there are any tricks, I'd like to know.
As an example, my old GPZ1100E had an airbox that could be released and slid back a short distance, just enough to ease carb removal and installation. So far I haven't seen such a thing on this ZG.
Usually, I consider Kawasaki manuals to be among the best, but leaving out removing the carbs? Seems very unusual.
Bill
Bonnie and Clyde
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 1998 Voyager xii Green and Black
2007 KTM Super Enduro 950
2019 KTM xcw 300 TPI
Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 49 times

Re: Carburetor removal

Post by Bonnie and Clyde »

I bought my voyager back in October and just did a Major Full service on it including a carb rebuild. I couldn't find any info or pics of carb removal. I took the cables off then loosened every thing up and wiggled them out. Going back in is the pain. The rear part of the air box should probably be in before the carbs. Use a screw driver to keep the throttle open for the bottom cable attachment its fussy but it can be put back together. Think of all the money you are saving doing yourself and the knowledge you are gaining of your bike. For me the peace of mind knowing its done right is priceless.
wishing I was riding around the world

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”