Carburetor question

Got a tech tip for Voyager 12's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Hillbilly
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 98 Voyager xii
2021 versys
99 KLR650
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 2 times

Carburetor question

Post by Hillbilly »

Hi Everyone, I am in the process of rebuilding my carbs on my Voyager xii. I was wondering if anyone has changed the jets to get better performance .Is it worth the time and did you notice any difference. The other question I had was the slide spring on the rebuild kit seems to be shorter and stiffer than the stock. Have any of you run into that ? Is it an issue. One more quick question, the slide seems to be worn in my opinion. Is that going to be an issue at some point?
Thank you for your help.
20220227_122005.jpg
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '97 XII
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250
'82 Silverwing Sushiguzzi
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 548 times

Re: Carburetor question

Post by Nails »

Hillbilly wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:28 pmI was wondering if anyone has changed the jets to get better performance
Rejetting is a black art, and I urge caution unless you have a good reason to fuss with it, like living at a high elevation. And even then, I'd think twice about it: these bikes are made to travel down and through the flatlands; and you'd probably want to let someone with experience mess with it. Perhaps you've noticed that these carbs are difficult to remove -- you'd surely have to do that several times to "dial it in".

I haven't heard of a general improvement from rejetting. I understand that Carl Leo rejets his carb rebuilds, which reportedly gives more power but less mileage. If someone knows what jets he puts in, I'd like to hear about it.
Hillbilly wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:28 pmthe slide spring on the rebuild kit seems to be shorter and stiffer
I can't see how that could be right. Is this some so-called "performance" kit?
Hillbilly wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:28 pmthe slide seems to be worn in my opinion.
I can't see how that's a problem. The piston must slide freely, and it commonly shows some "wear" marks. (AFAIK, the secret sauce with CV carb rebuilds is polishing this piston and bore so it slides with no stiction.)
--
Nails
Hillbilly
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 98 Voyager xii
2021 versys
99 KLR650
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Hillbilly »

Nails, Thanks for the reply. I will take your advice and not monkey with it. :thmup:
GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500
Has liked: 431 times
Been liked: 393 times

Post by GrandpaDenny »

Hillbilly wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:46 pm Nails, Thanks for the reply. I will take your advice and not monkey with it. :thmup:
Woah. Nails just told somebody not to mess with something? Ok, buster, who are you, and what did you do with Nails? :LvStrk
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
2000 Voyager XII "Gertrude" - deceased
1993 Vulcan 88 "Emily"

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

VXII Manuals:
https://amervoyassoc.org/zg1200manuals.php

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”