Inner fork tubes pitted

Got a tech tip for Voyager 12's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Hillbilly
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 98 Voyager xii
2021 versys
99 KLR650
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 2 times

Inner fork tubes pitted

Post by Hillbilly »

Hello again everyone, I am in the process of changing the oil and oil seals on my forks. I noticed that they have some pitting on the inner tubes. I wanted to know if any of you have an idea how to possibly remove or at least make it a little more tolerable. My concern is that it will chew up the new seals in a short amount of time. I've tried 2000 grit sand paper and steel wool, It's made it a little better . I didn't know if there might be something I could fill them with.
Thank you.
Attachments
20220328_122655.jpg
VoyKimmer
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2002 Voyager XII
1996 Voyager XII
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 98 times

Re: Inner fork tubes pitted

Post by VoyKimmer »

I’ve had nicks on a fork tube. Never could get it cleaned up enough to not damage the seal. Had to get a new fork tube . I found one on eBay NOS but good luck getting an original.
May have to go here to get one https://franksforks.com/
These users liked VoyKimmer's post:
Nails (Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:26 pm) • Hillbilly (Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:34 pm)
Rating: 25%
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '97 XII
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250
'82 Silverwing Sushiguzzi
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 548 times

Post by Nails »

I had my forks rebuilt because the old seals had leaked all over the brakes and I switched to Progressives. The shop warned me that one of my forks has a scratch (I didn't even notice it) that they cleaned up but "might leak". The PO apparently cowboyed on the fork -- I don't know why he was in there. But after 20K, the new seal is still fine.

Thanks for that source -- I might need it. I asked for a quote but haven't heard back yet.
These users liked Nails's post:
Hillbilly (Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:34 pm)
Rating: 12.5%
--
Nails
Hillbilly
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 98 Voyager xii
2021 versys
99 KLR650
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Hillbilly »

Thanks guys, I think I'll probably run them for a bit until I can find replacements.
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '97 XII
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250
'82 Silverwing Sushiguzzi
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 548 times

Post by Nails »

Still no response from Franks Forks. :hmm:
--
Nails
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1986 Kawasaki ZN1300 Voyager
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by Van Voyager »

One of the other forms I visit regularly had a post several years ago about a kind of soldering that could be used to fix fork divots, i.e. grind out the rust fill with solder, then finish surface flush with the tube. Frankly I was then, and remain, a bit bit skeptical but there was a video showing a guy filling and finishing a fork tube. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Alternatively, I've used epoxy to fill small clean divots, then file smooth and polish and that seems to work.

Edit: found this video while searching for the one I mentioned above: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYapCo9ao2Y

Edit 2. The soldier I mentioned above is apparently Cronabraze 92C. Here's a demonstration video (not the fork tube video I was looking for) Cronabraze 92C CW1020
madmax
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): ZG1200 B3
ZG1000 - GTR1000
ZG1400 - GTR1400
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by madmax »

Hi, my forks had bad pitting, so I got them hard chrome plated. It wasn’t expensive.
If I remember right it was around ₤80 ($105) the pair over here in the UK.
They informed me that one fork had a very slight bend in it. They straightened for free. They told me that they grind the old chrome off then re-chrome them to the correct diameter.
I shipped them one week & got them back the following week.
I’ve had to do the same on an old 1970 Kawasaki Triple, an H1 Mach III 500. That was years ago & I’ve been informed they still like new.
It's probably cheaper to get re chromed than buying a second hand pair, if you can find any. Good luck.

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”