sparkplug wires

Got a tech tip for Voyager 12's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '97 XII
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250
'82 Silverwing Sushiguzzi
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 548 times

sparkplug wires

Post by Nails »

I replaced my sparkplug wires, using 5 feet ($6 worth) of metal-core wire material. I reused my NGK caps -- pretty sure they're stock.

You have to remove the coils because the wires screw onto the coil posts. (This is the right coil, bracket attached. And it's upside down.)
coil screws.jpg
This entails removing the battery tray and the front air box. (Getting the boots back on the airbox is a major PITA.) You'll also need to remove the left side of the fairing.

Slip the coil wires off the top of the coils. I found the red wire to the rear (black wire to the front) on the right coil and the other way about for the left coil. Note that the coils are identical: you can reverse the right coil bracket (photo above) and flip it to the left side.

For both coils, remove the sparkplug wires from the rear posts by unscrewing the caps and pulling the wires off. (Mine came right off, but maybe your coil posts will grip the wires better than that. I guess then you'd have to unscrew them.) The front posts are too buried to unscrew their caps.

I think the right coil is most easily removed buy unbolting its bracket from the frame. Here are two views of the bolts to remove, looking along the inside of the right inner-fairing. I moved the fuel liquid/vapor separator aside, off it's bracket.
right side coil2.jpg
right side coil1.jpg
The right coil, bracket, and front sparkplug wire can be twisted out and off the bike.
These users liked Nails's post:
cushman eagle (Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:41 am) • GrandpaDenny (Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:09 am) • cranky (Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:12 pm) • Bonnie and Clyde (Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:24 pm)
Rating: 50%
--
Nails
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250

Re: sparkplug wires

Post by Nails »

The left side is more trouble because the junction box of the throttle accelerator cable assembly (for the cruise control) is in the way. I unbolted the coil from its bracket. I was able to access the top bolt from the front of the bike. Here's the lower bolt, after removing the fairing.
left side coil4.jpg
The frame is in the way, so that socket is a little off-center, but the 1/4" drive got close enough. It's also hidden behind another frame bracket that gets in the way of putting a box-end wrench on it -- might fit from the front of the bike.
left side coil3.jpg
Here's the coil (sans bracket) mostly extracted. The front post still has it's sparkplug wire attached (red arrow). The throttle junction box (green arrow) is pushed up and out of the way.
left side coil1.jpg
I cut the new wire with a big set of shears (that probably belonged to grandpa) to the same length as stock. Then I transferred the rubber ferrules and coil caps to the new wires.
sparkplug wires1.jpg
Then reinstall the coils and everything else in the reverse of the above, except I attached the wires and caps to both the front and rear coil posts -- the new sparkplug wires are much more flexible. Again, the sparkplug wires must be screwed onto the coil posts. I attached the sparkplug caps (no ferrules) after getting the coils back in; and these caps also screw onto the core of the sparkplug wires.
These users liked Nails's post:
GrandpaDenny (Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:09 am) • cranky (Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:15 pm) • Bonnie and Clyde (Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:24 pm)
Rating: 37.5%
--
Nails
cranky
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2003 Voyager
Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 78 times

Post by cranky »

You do good work and many thanks for the wire up and pics!!!!!
These users liked cranky's post:
Nails (Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:57 pm)
Rating: 12.5%
'03 Voyager - http://tinyurl.com/mqtgpwp VROC pics of Gina
Cranky - Bill Snodgrass AVA # 6544. VROC # 16804
Cranked >128K miles, Mtn bike-no motor!!!
San Jose, KalEfornYa
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250

Post by Nails »

cranky wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:16 pm You do good work
Naw, I'm getting pretty crappy actually. Best keep my day job ... never mind I don't have one.

"There's never time to do it right but always time to do it over."
--
Nails

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”