cruise control

Got a tech tip for Voyager 12's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '97 XII
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250
'82 Silverwing Sushiguzzi
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 548 times

cruise control

Post by Nails »

My cruise control only worked intermittently when I got the bike, but I fixed it by adjusting the actuator. Then it worked swell until my first cross-country trip. This time it was a bad clutch cancel switch (intermittent). Last year it started screwing up yet again, and I still haven't figured it out. But since I'm doing all the checks again I took pictures.

Here's the actuator, under the right fairing near the headlight. A common problem is too much slack in the cable.
cruise cable adjust1.jpg
Take off those three bolts and then turn it over to see the cable. (My hand is hiding the adjuster. Sorry.) This shows the slack you want -- I'm turning the pulley against a spring to take out the slack. See page 15-19 in the manual.
cruise cable adjust2.jpg
Meanwhile, on the other side ...

The control unit (red arrow) is under the left fairing, also toward the front. (That gob of wires to the right is where I moved the cruise control switches and lights, a switch for high-low auxiliary lights, and wiring for heated clothes and stuff.)
cruise module.jpg
Page 15-15 in the manual runs down some quick checks that you can do on the harness side of the 13-pin connector (blue arrow). Do these checks with the plug disconnected. This will help identify which cancel switch is kaflutchy and stuff like that.

Unfortunately, all these checks checked out but it still doesn't work. I bought a spare control module when I was trying to find the bad clutch switch, and I already swapped it in. Tomorrow I'll have to check the speed sensor and maybe the get into actuator guts. Hope to figure it out before hitting the road Friday morning, but I've learned to live with the VistaCruise as necessary. (It's honestly a thousand wonders this Rube Goldberg affair works at all.)
These users liked Nails's post:
GrandpaDenny (Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:13 am) • cranky (Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:50 pm) • Bonnie and Clyde (Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:25 pm)
Rating: 37.5%
--
Nails
rustynut51
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 1994 Kawasaki Voyager XII
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: cruise control

Post by rustynut51 »

mine did that . it was a bad wire at the control on the fake tank.
These users liked rustynut51's post:
Bonnie and Clyde (Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:25 pm)
Rating: 12.5%
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250

Post by Nails »

rustynut51 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:43 pm mine did that . it was a bad wire at the control on the fake tank.
Yeah, all those switches and lights checked out. And I rebuilt most of that anyway, when I moved all that stuff off the tank and onto the left-side fairing.

As the manual points out, there's really just three components here: the control module, the speed sensor, and the actuator. For the control module, all I can really do is check the lights and switches hooked to it. For the speed sensor, I just need to get the front tire in the air and see what happens when I spin it. The actuator has more tests.
--
Nails
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '99 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1958 Cushman Eagle restoration has been finished,and have put 3030 miles on her!
Has liked: 810 times
Been liked: 273 times

Post by cushman eagle »

Nails wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:05 am
rustynut51 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:43 pm mine did that . it was a bad wire at the control on the fake tank.
Yeah, all those switches and lights checked out. And I rebuilt most of that anyway, when I moved all that stuff off the tank and onto the left-side fairing.

As the manual points out, there's really just three components here: the control module, the speed sensor, and the actuator. For the control module, all I can really do is check the lights and switches hooked to it. For the speed sensor, I just need to get the front tire in the air and see what happens when I spin it. The actuator has more tests.
Nails,if I recall,the speedo has to be showing 30MPH to set the cruise,that would be hard to do by hand with the front wheel in the air :hmm:
'99 Voyager VXII,'58 Cushman Eagle
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250

Post by Nails »

cushman eagle wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:36 am Nails,if I recall,the speedo has to be showing 30MPH to set the cruise,that would be hard to do by hand with the front wheel in the air
The test is something like four on-off cycles per revolution -- about page 15-20 in the manual. That low speed limit (for activating the CC) must be downstream, in the control module.

(I was hoping to use the CC on the Blue Ridge Parkway, but it won't actually set until more like 50mph. And then it doesn't work very well.)
cushman eagle (Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:40 am)
Rating: 12.5%
--
Nails
SgtSlag
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1993 Voyager XII (2010)
(2006-2012: 1979 Honda CB750K)
(2008-2010: 1983 Kawasaki 440LTD, belt drive)
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 218 times

Post by SgtSlag »

Actually, I believe the speedo has to be at 39, or higher, for the CC to engage. Fifth Gear is also a requirement. Then there are the safety switches on the clutch, front brake handle, the foot brake pedal, and the other switches... I'm surprised we don't have to position our left cheek, just so, on the seat, cock and twist our heads just right, then hold our mouths and lips in the correct expression. :rolling:

Did you check the slack on the cable? Mine was tightened, around 6+ years ago, and it needs it again. Frustrating... Best of luck! Cheers!
SgtSlag

1993 Voyager XII
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250

Post by Nails »

The Voyager XII Motorcycle Service Manual Supplement, Chapter 15 has a dozen pages about the cruise control. This was a feature added to the second model year (IIRC), which is why it’s in the "supplement" instead of in the “base manual”. This post talks about Chapter 15 of the Supplement Manual. (Note that Chapter 17 of this Supplement Manual is itself a supplement for the 1999 and later models.)

Page 15-3 is really two pages (fold out) with all this supplement wiring, but 15-16 and -17 has a much more readable schematic. I still found it difficult to understand in part because some circuits reverse their polarity -– MaKa seems allergic to latched relays. (I think this is why LEDs don’t work in the CC indicator lights.)

Page 15-5 has an exploded view of the CC system, and 15-6 and -7 explains how the switches work. 15-8 describes the CC diode and takes a first pass at how the whole CC is supposed to work.

The actuator contains an electromagnetic clutch, a pulley drive motor, and a cable pulley. The cable pulley ordinarily spins free from the pulley drive motor. It is engaged with the motor by the electromagnetic clutch when the cruise control is set. Then the actuator motor moves the pulley (as commanded by the CC control unit) and moves all the throttle cables. When the cruise control is cancelled, the pulley is disengaged from the motor and again spins free -- and you have to use the twist throttle to move the cables. The throttle cable mess includes a junction box so that the throttle can be controlled by both the actuator or the throttle grip.

(I've previously advocated for dumping the CC cancel switch on the throttle assembly on the grounds that it's a stupid safety device and a PITA when pitting the carbs back on the bike. But now I think it's mostly to protect the actuator, which is locked to the twist grip when the CC is engaged. If you fight with the actuator by twisting the grip, it'll just cancel rather than risk damaging itself.)

15-9 is a big cartoon of how this whole contraption is supposed to work; and 15-10 is a more detailed rundown of the various components and what they actually do. 15-11 identifies the control unit terminals (for testing, below). 15-12 is yet more words about how the whole system is supposed to work. In total, it took MaKa almost a dozen manual pages and at least three tries just to say what this CC system actually does. Maybe you’ll be able to wrap your head around all of this easier than I could.

At last, 15-13 starts into troubleshooting. The first thing, even though it’s the last thing in the manual (bottom of page 15-19), is to check that all the throttle cables slide right. But back to 15-13, my symptom is “Vehicle speed can not be set”, listing the following “Test Items” (the other symptoms have much shorter lists):

• Control unit power supply wiring
• Control switch wiring
• Distance sensor wiring
• Cancel-related switch wiring
• Brake light fuse wiring
• Throttle cables
• Actuator
• Control unit

The following is running down how I tested those items.

On 15-14, the very first test is the “Indicator SET Light Inspection”, ending with this ambiguous text: “If the above check proves good, the control unit must be replaced.” This is really the only available test for the control unit: if that SET light check fails, then replace the unit. If no other test (in this whole post) fails and the CC still doesn’t work, then replace the control unit. That’s it.

The control unit has two connectors, a "6P" one that really has 5 pins but they're labeled #1 thru #6, and a "13P" one with pins #7 thru #20.

Fortunately, mine passed this first round of tests: with the 13P connector (photo in my previous post) disconnected from the control unit, the key “on”, and the engine kill switch to “run”, my CC “main switch” worked (that indicator light came on, anyway). Then, grounding the #7 pin caused the “Set” indicator light to come on. So far, so good.

Next, 15-15 gets into a table of tests to run on the rest of the 13P terminals -- basically all the power supplies, fuses, CC switches, and sensors. These tests are fast and easy except pin #14, which requires getting the front wheel off the ground, and then some gymnastics to hold the multimeter onto #14 and #19 with one hand, spinning the wheel with the other, and looking at the multimeter.
distance test.jpg
The resistance between #14 and ground should “oscillate 4 times per wheel revolution between zero and infinite ohms.” I found that the key doesn’t really need to be turned on and that the resistance oscillates more like 8-10 times per wheel revolution.

(This is the mechanical speed sensor. It has nothing to do with whether the control unit will decide to allow the CC to engage below 40mph.)

These simple tests are what my last post was about. To recap, the CC system has three main components: the control unit, the distance sensor, and the actuator. So far, my first two seem good – all the tests so far. 15-18 gets into the third component, the actuator inspection.

First, remove the actuator from the bike else “the control unit may be damaged,” the cable will be in the way, and some of these electrical tests are mighty awkward. From here on, I’m talking about the 6P actuator connector, the other connector on the control unit, not the 13P. Also, the manual warns not to mess with the pin #4 (BL/W) at all, else you might blow a diode in the actuator.
actuator.jpg
The first test is resistance between #5 (BL/O) and #6 (BL/R). If this is about 20 ohms, then the Electromagnetic Clutch Coil Resistance is good. Mine reported zip ohms, so I finally figured out why my CC doesn’t work.

I’m done today -- just gotta put the fairing back on. And I’ll be using the VistaCruise again this trip.

Since I’m here, I’ll paraphrase the rest of these actuator tests. Mine passed the next check: that the actuator pulley moves easily by hand and returns back with the spring smoothly. The rest of these checks are onerous, involving putting 12V across various pins, sometimes with an ammeter in series, and checking things like how the pulley moves and whether the clutch locks (see 15-18 and -19 for the heinous details). If any of these fails, then “replace the actuator.” Honestly, I’m a little relieved not to have to run those tests.

And if that doesn't fix it, the "replace the control unit".

As previously mentioned, I’m surprised it works at all.
cranky (Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:01 pm) • Bonnie and Clyde (Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:14 pm)
Rating: 25%
--
Nails

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”