Winter service done.

For general motorcycle related use, news, and observations.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '99 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1958 Cushman Eagle restoration has been finished,and have put 3030 miles on her!
Has liked: 812 times
Been liked: 273 times

Winter service done.

Post by cushman eagle »

I just finished [winter service] :thmup:
I had already installed a rear Michelin Commander III on the bike to finish out 2021,so I put one on the front,along with forks I had Race Tech put gold emulators in.My shoulders are not liking the harsh bumps we have here in Ohio,so I decided to try them out :hmm:
I also replaced all the brake pads,and the lite bulbs except those in the trunk,as they were changed recently.
I pulled the driveshaft to regreased the splines,which still had plenty of the grease that I put in 35,000 miles ago.[That was a lot of work for nothing]
I changed the rearend oil,while I had the final drive off.
To finish it off,I replaced the battery,and cleaned the air filter.
Should be ready for another year :thmup:
These users liked cushman eagle's post:
Nails (Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:23 pm)
Rating: 12.5%
'99 Voyager VXII,'58 Cushman Eagle
bigmac7139
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 1993 kawasaki voyager
1978 kawasaki kz 750
2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 800
1979 Kawasaki kz650
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0

Re: Winter service done.

Post by bigmac7139 »

:woohoo: sounds like your ready to ride when winter let's up.
mike in kansas city mo
living and taking it a day at a time!!!
Dave
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): BMW R1250GS
Been liked: 24 times

Post by Dave »

cushman eagle wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:05 pm I just finished [winter service] :thmup:
I had already installed a rear Michelin Commander III on the bike to finish out 2021,so I put one on the front,along with forks I had Race Tech put gold emulators in.My shoulders are not liking the harsh bumps we have here in Ohio,so I decided to try them out :hmm:
I also replaced all the brake pads,and the lite bulbs except those in the trunk,as they were changed recently.
I pulled the driveshaft to regreased the splines,which still had plenty of the grease that I put in 35,000 miles ago.[That was a lot of work for nothing]
I changed the rearend oil,while I had the final drive off.
To finish it off,I replaced the battery,and cleaned the air filter.
Should be ready for another year :thmup:
What is this :winter service" some people refer to? :lol: Had a nice ride today. It started out a bit cool this morning at 25 degrees but eventually warmed up into the fifties with plenty of sunshine all day.
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '97 XII
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250
'82 Silverwing Sushiguzzi
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 549 times

Post by Nails »

I'm very interested to hear how the emulators work for you.
--
Nails
Scott-(Altoona, PA)
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 121 times

Post by Scott-(Altoona, PA) »

Dave wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:35 am What is this :winter service" some people refer to? :lol: Had a nice ride today. It started out a bit cool this morning at 25 degrees but eventually warmed up into the fifties with plenty of sunshine all day.
:tong: I hope you get hit with some snow. Just so you can feel the pains of knowing the bike wants ridden but the roads aren't favorable! :laughing:
These users liked Scott-(Altoona, PA)'s post:
cushman eagle (Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:03 am)
Mid-Atlantic Voyagers chapter secretary {"scribe"}
2001 Voyager XII
We may not know them all, but we owe them all! Thank a Veteran today!
GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500
Has liked: 433 times
Been liked: 393 times

Post by GrandpaDenny »

cushman eagle wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:05 pm My shoulders are not liking the harsh bumps we have here in Ohio,so I decided to try them out :hmm:
Loosen up your grip on the bars, tuck the elbows in, relax. Your shoulders shouldn't be taking the bumps.
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
2000 Voyager XII "Gertrude" - deceased
1993 Vulcan 88 "Emily"

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

VXII Manuals:
https://amervoyassoc.org/zg1200manuals.php
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road
1958 Cushman Eagle restoration has been finished,and have put 3030 miles on her!

Post by cushman eagle »

Nails wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:23 pm I'm very interested to hear how the emulators work for you.
Thank you, Nails,so am I. :thk:
I will post the results,when I can get back on the bike :cold:
Not only is it too cold,but there is about 1/4 inch of salt on the roads,and I do not want that on the bike.
I hear you Grandpa Denny,but my right shoulder is not in good shape,my left one is OK yet.
I did forget,I also put new CR1225 batteries in my TPMS.
Dave
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): BMW R1250GS
Been liked: 24 times

Post by Dave »

Scott-(Altoona, PA) wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:20 pm
Dave wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:35 am What is this :winter service" some people refer to? :lol: Had a nice ride today. It started out a bit cool this morning at 25 degrees but eventually warmed up into the fifties with plenty of sunshine all day.
:tong: I hope you get hit with some snow. Just so you can feel the pains of knowing the bike wants ridden but the roads aren't favorable! :laughing:
We did have some freezing rain and a little snow about a week ago. Took a couple of days for it all to melt.
These users liked Dave's post:
Scott-(Altoona, PA) (Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:56 pm)
GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500
Has liked: 433 times
Been liked: 393 times

Post by GrandpaDenny »

cushman eagle wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:52 am I hear you Grandpa Denny,but my right shoulder is not in good shape,my left one is OK yet.
I understand. I have a torn rotator cuff in my left shoulder (started PT yesterday), and I speak from experience, not theory. Relax that grip. Grip the tank with your knees to add stability and control, and relax the arms. Let your arms bend, they shouldn't be straight. Shouldn't even be close to straight. The bars are infinitely adjustable for angle and dangle and width so you can get comfortable.
These users liked GrandpaDenny's post:
Scott-(Altoona, PA) (Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:54 pm)
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
2000 Voyager XII "Gertrude" - deceased
1993 Vulcan 88 "Emily"

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

VXII Manuals:
https://amervoyassoc.org/zg1200manuals.php
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250

Post by Nails »

GrandpaDenny wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:39 amThe bars are infinitely adjustable for angle and dangle and width so you can get comfortable.
Not so much width -- XII stock bars are way too wide to suit me. I'm a lot more comfortable with bars made for a T140, IIRC. They had the right dangle &etc, with specs close to some Goldwing bars that were my first alternative. (I like them for other reasons, too.) I don't think my handlebars could really be much narrower given all the crap bolted to them.

Same with dirt bikes, where I always wind up with "woods" bars. It's my ride.
--
Nails
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road

Post by cushman eagle »

GrandpaDenny wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:39 am
cushman eagle wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:52 am I hear you Grandpa Denny,but my right shoulder is not in good shape,my left one is OK yet.
I understand. I have a torn rotator cuff in my left shoulder (started PT yesterday), and I speak from experience, not theory. Relax that grip. Grip the tank with your knees to add stability and control, and relax the arms. Let your arms bend, they shouldn't be straight. Shouldn't even be close to straight. The bars are infinitely adjustable for angle and dangle and width so you can get comfortable.
I do what you say,and never have my arms straight,and also do physical therapy,but harsh enough conditions will still jar my arms,hurting the right shoulder :help:
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250

Post by Nails »

My shoulders bother me a lot, but I think it's mostly arthritis from falling on them all my life (wrestling, smokejumping, skiing, motocross). According to the PT folks, I scrunch up my shoulders; but not so much on the bike, so riding usually helps.

When I had my wrist in a cast recently, the major nerve in my arm apparently literally shrunk, mostly between my neck and shoulder. The PT woe-masters found painful ways to manipulate my wrist, but after working on my neck and shoulder I could tolerate those movements. I mean, after working on my shoulder, I could tolerate that wrist stuff later in that same PT session. It's complex, I reckon. Oh, in case you haven't noticed, getting old sucks.

But now, a year later, I can sleep pretty well on my side -- praise be minor blessings.
--
Nails
Barry
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 87 Voyager 12
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Barry »

Loren, A couple of years ago I decided to tear the whole rear suspension apart and replace swing arm bearings as well as do a deep dive lubricating everything. I had a spare driveshaft that I replaced the U-joint to help shorten down time. I pulled the propeller shaft sliding joint apart on the spare shaft. It wasn't until it was off that a good inspection was possible. Good thing I did as it was well worn. Fortunately the one on my bike was in great shape. So after all this blah blah blah... here's the 2 dollar question. Did you pull the sliding joint off the propeller shaft and lube all the splines? See shop manual 10-9, 10-10. Most people overlook this.
Barry
87 Voyager XII
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250

Post by Nails »

Barry, thanks again for showing me these parts. I hope to get into that PM before putting my bike back on the road.
--
Nails
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road

Post by cushman eagle »

Barry wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:18 pm Loren, A couple of years ago I decided to tear the whole rear suspension apart and replace swing arm bearings as well as do a deep dive lubricating everything. I had a spare driveshaft that I replaced the U-joint to help shorten down time. I pulled the propeller shaft sliding joint apart on the spare shaft. It wasn't until it was off that a good inspection was possible. Good thing I did as it was well worn. Fortunately the one on my bike was in great shape. So after all this blah blah blah... here's the 2 dollar question. Did you pull the sliding joint off the propeller shaft and lube all the splines? See shop manual 10-9, 10-10. Most people overlook this.
Yes I did Barry,this was the 3rd time I did that,and the 1st time that I did not lose the retaining pin :laughing:
I do keep 2 spares :rolling:
Scott-(Altoona, PA)
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 121 times

Post by Scott-(Altoona, PA) »

cushman eagle wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:52 am ....... I did forget,I also put new CR1225 batteries in my TPMS.
Hey Loren, how often do you change the batteries in your cars TPMS ??????? :shock:
Mid-Atlantic Voyagers chapter secretary {"scribe"}
2001 Voyager XII
We may not know them all, but we owe them all! Thank a Veteran today!
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250

Post by Nails »

I think I have the same TPMS that Loren uses (and Barry, and who knows how many others). I have to change the batteries (XII) every couple of years. I travel with spares and sometimes have to replace my travel stash in, say, Boise. (For these models, a trick is to leave the locking nut on the stem tight so that when you twist them off, it separates the case where the battery is. Wa-la!)
Obviously, I can't recommend TPMS sending units that don't have replaceable batteries. Note that they're "on" when they leave the factory. One of mine showed up dead.
These users liked Nails's post:
Barry (Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:15 am)
--
Nails
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road

Post by cushman eagle »

Scott-(Altoona, PA) wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:09 am
cushman eagle wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:52 am ....... I did forget,I also put new CR1225 batteries in my TPMS.
Hey Loren, how often do you change the batteries in your cars TPMS ??????? :shock:
Hey,Scott,as easy as it is to change those,I felt it was a wise thing to do. :woohoo:
SgtSlag
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1993 Voyager XII (2010)
(2006-2012: 1979 Honda CB750K)
(2008-2010: 1983 Kawasaki 440LTD, belt drive)
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 218 times

Post by SgtSlag »

Guys, need some help...

I took my TPMS sensor off my rear tire, and I cannot figure out how to open it up to replace the battery! Here are some photo's of my TPMS sensors:

I can't twist the gear wheel portion, which seems to turn to unlock the inner portion from the outer housing. I tried using pliers, but I cannot get a grip on the gear teeth, as they are too short. I tried reversing the tab wheel, so that the tab is up, but I still can't get anything to turn, either direction.

I tried using a regular screwdriver, inserted into the brass center, which appears to be slotted for a screwdriver. Unfortunately, the attempt rounded the brass slot.

If I have to replace the sensors every two years, because the batteries die, I am not sure I want to spend that much money. There has to be a better way, or a better system that I can open up to replace the batteries.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks, Gents! Cheers!
SgtSlag

1993 Voyager XII
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250

Post by Nails »

SgtSlag wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:54 pm I took my TPMS sensor off my rear tire, and I cannot figure out how to open it up to replace the battery!
Try reinstalling it on the valve stem, locked-down tight, and then unscrew it. I accidentally separated it that way once.

(I can't see the photo, but I think we have the same TPMS.)
These users liked Nails's post:
cushman eagle (Wed May 18, 2022 1:34 am)
--
Nails

Return to “General Chat”