Rear Tire Change

Got a tech tip for Voyager 1300's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1986 Kawasaki ZN1300 Voyager
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 37 times

Rear Tire Change

Post by Van Voyager »

I don't have access to my manuals right now....

Can someone advise what's required, i.e. what has to come off, in order to remove the rear wheel from a 86 ZN1300? I need to get space and time set aside before tackling the tire change.
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer

Re: Rear Tire Change

Post by Van Voyager »

Well, I dove into the tire change today. The service manual doesn't really provide much of an explanation but here's how I did it.

Edit: - Don't do all this - read the update a couple of posts down
  • Removed top case
    Removed Bags
    Removed Seat
    Removed Right Muffler
    Unbolted and removed right rear bag guard
    Unbolted the back section of the bag frame (the bag frame consists of two sub frame pieces bolted together), unbolted back section of the fender, and unbolted the fronts of the chrome side panels (along the bottom of the bags). After undoing the electrical connections the rear bag sub frame, along with the tail light assembly, the tool box, back section of the rear fender, and both chrome bag side panels can be removed.
    Unbolted bottom of left rear bag guard (where it attaches to the bag sub frame)
    Unbolted and removed right rear shock absorber
    Unbolted the passenger Grab bars. With the grab bars unbolted, what's left of the bag sub frame can be pivoted up enough to allow removal of the axle
    Unbolted and removed axle along with left hand axle spacer
    Rotate rear caliper arm up
    Unbolted rear drive case from swingarm and remove the wheel (along with the rear drive case)
    Remove rear drive case from wheel
Assembly is the reverse of above (I think - haven't completed the assembly yet :-? ) with the following tip - don't tighten up the rear drive case/swingarm bolts until left hand axle spacer, caliper arm and axle are installed.
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer

Post by Van Voyager »

Ooops. Started buttoning things up today and spotted a tiny bit of O ring on the floor. Pulled the rear drive case off again - sure enough part of the O rings that seals the Propeller Shaft Joint was missing. Not a big deal, pulled out the closest O ring I had on hand and reinstalled everything.
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer

Post by Van Voyager »

Couple of updates on this......

The tire I put on in 2018 was a Shinko 777. I have almost 10k miles on that tire and there's still lots of tread left, but I'm going on a 6k mile trip soon, so I thought I'd put a new 777 on. I expect I could have made it on the original 777, but didn't want to risk having to do a tire change on the road. I'm very happy with the performance and lifespan 777s.

So duh, instead of disassembling all the stuff as posted above in order to get the wheel off, all I did was remove the right muffler and the shocks, then raise the swing arm to pull the axle out. Still have to remove the rear drive case though. Probable good practice to remove the drive to regrease the splines anyway, but it seems like a bit of a goofy design.

That same broken O-ring I mentioned replacing during the last tire change was broken again. Hmmmm.

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager 1300 Six”