Two-Tire TPMS System for $23.99, delivered!

For general motorcycle related use, news, and observations.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

SgtSlag
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1993 Voyager XII (2010)
(2006-2012: 1979 Honda CB750K)
(2008-2010: 1983 Kawasaki 440LTD, belt drive)
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 218 times

Two-Tire TPMS System for $23.99, delivered!

Post by SgtSlag »

I thought this would make a great Tech Tip for any bike model, of any vintage, so I am posting it in the General Comments Section.

I had a TPMS system bought off of e-Bay, around two years ago. The sensor batteries died, and opening the sensors up to replace them, was an interesting challenge. One of the sensors failed to function after installing a new battery, so I went searching e-Bay for a replacement system.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Y5hLcP3SsFjcuLiYA
$50TPMS.jpg

I found the same exact system, still available, still around $65+, delivered. I also found an alternative TPMS System, for $23.99, delivered. I opted to get the less expensive system. Note that each has very similar features: tire pressure monitoring, with both Hi and Lo settings modifiable by the owner, which will sound a visual and an audible alarm; tire temperature monitoring (one sensor on the old system read unusually high rear tire temperatures which seemed to be in error as it was reading 300 F); time clock; and a charge level indicator (USB charging for the receiver).

Note that my original system was not marked to indicate which sensor was for the Front tire, and which sensor was for the Rear tire -- I had to figure it out by trial and error. The newer version shown above, is marked F and R; the new system I purchased is marked FW and RW. Both sets came with a similar wrench; the newer system's nuts and wrench, are slightly larger, however, by around 2mm.

The rear tire was fine, in spite of the 300 F temperature reading. We were consistently riding two-up, with luggage, and the sensor regularly read 300 F running down the highway, so I assume with that amount of stress, the temperature reading had to be off, or the Michelin Commander III tire would surely have blown out on us... This is another reason to get a new system.

I installed the new system, and it appears to be working normally. I wanted to share some insights between the two systems. The $23.99 model has basically the same features and functions, and for me, saving $40 for an equivalent product, was a no-brainer. The lower cost model also has a magnetic USB charging port: it is not polarity sensitive, and it snaps into place firmly, and easily. The expensive model has a micro-USB port which must be inserted properly -- polarity sensitive, and you will break it if you force it in the wrong way.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RjaQgctD38P3EW4s6
20220623_174511.jpg
The old sensors, and the new, both have a rubber/soft plastic O-ring seal; they both screw together to house the electronics; they both run off of similarly sized watch batteries. NOTE: use CR versions of these batteries as they have higher Amp-hour ratings -- they will last longer. The old sensors, however, have plastic teeth, which can be very challenging to grip, to twist the cap off of the sensor for battery replacement. I ended up buying a Retaining Clip Pliers to unscrew the caps from the sensors. In my crude initial attempts, I believe I broke one of the sensors because it stopped working.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/uErV35DQRZw5HJN79
20220525_155605.jpg
Old sensor was disassembled. Note the thin gears which were best gripped using a Retaining Clip Pliers, to open. The translucent, semi-clear O-ring has a surprisingly tight grip on the housing, when assembled. They are most certainly water-proof! Note, also, that the older sensors used a CR1225 battery, while the new sensors use a CR1632 battery: both 3 Volts, but different sizes, and likely different Amp=hour ratings. Be sure to use the proper type of battery (CR) and the proper size (indicated by the number). Substitutions might work, or they might not.

The new sensors have a molded plastic nut in them. This molded nut is the same size as the nuts provided for locking the sensors onto the valve stems. The provided wrench fits perfectly on the molded nuts, making unscrewing the caps from the sensors ridiculously easy.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hJf6zsZ56cVaoLG29
20220623_174354.jpg

Here is the rub, however... The plastic nut is cinched against the metal nut used to lock it in place on the valve stem, and it can be tricky to put the provided wrench only on the metal nut, not the plastic molded nut, when tightening. The good news is that you do not need to cinch the nut too tightly against the plastic sensor housing to prevent it from vibrating off of the stem while riding!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9gGWjSDcpkcnrdUWA
20220623_174249.jpg
The two systems use the exact same size screws to mount the receiver to the handlebars. I unscrewed the original receiver, and then I screwed the new receiver to the same mounting assembly; now I have a spare mounting assembly.

Sadly, I spent one-half of the cost of the new system on batteries for the old system, before I found out I had broken one of the original sensors.

Both systems can be configured to show C/F temperatures. Both systems can be configured to show pressure in PSI/Bars. Both systems allow the owner to set the alarm pressure levels for both Hi/Lo, as well as allowing the owner to set the temperature limit before the alarm sounds.

The instruction manual for the new system is a PDF (with the author having English as a second language, so it is not particularly clear), which is obtained by scanning a QR code. Be sure to save that PDF file for future reference!

The old TPMS System did exactly what it was supposed to do for warning me of low tire pressure. It alarmed when either tire's pressure dropped too low (per my chosen threshold limits), saving my wife and I from likely having an accident. I no longer dread checking the tire pressure on my bike -- I just glance at the receiver, and I know, with confidence, what their pressure reading is! I verified the pressure sensor readings with my pressure gauge on my compressor, and they appear quite accurate. The TPMS System is worth every penny, IMO, for both safety and convenience! Cheers!

:perfect10:

Edited by Webmaster to add photos to go with the photo links
These users liked SgtSlag's post:
cushman eagle (Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:50 pm) • Bonnie and Clyde (Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:06 pm) • Highway Rider (Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:12 pm) • GrandpaDenny (Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:43 am) • triton28 (Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:29 pm)
Rating: 62.5%
SgtSlag

1993 Voyager XII
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '97 XII
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250
'82 Silverwing Sushiguzzi
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 548 times

Re: Two-Tire TPMS System for $23.99, delivered!

Post by Nails »

Looks like a modest upgrade to the exact system many of us use. The price makes it expendable -- but mine still works fine.

I use it several times on a riding day, including every time I first take off riding. Much better than crawling in the dirt to check, maybe a couple times a week at most.

I'm on a trip now and having difficulty with a front tire (viewtopic.php?p=94274#p94274). I checked the pressures at least 40 times yesterday.

Highly recommended. When I get back home, I plan to buy two or three of these for my other bikes.

(A few years ago I broke some ribs in a crash due to a flat front tire. That was a light d/s bike; and its DOT knobbies had sidewalls that were stiff enough to support the bike without air even on the freeway. But alas, not quite stiff enough to keep the bead on the rim in a hot corner.)
These users liked Nails's post:
Highway Rider (Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:13 pm)
Rating: 12.5%
--
Nails

Return to “General Chat”