Which cable is which?

Got a tech tip for Voyager 12's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Chris Cochran
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2005 Virago 250
2006 Vulcan 750
1986 Voyager XII
Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 58 times

Which cable is which?

Post by Chris Cochran »

Which one of these cables (of the ones seen horizontally in this pic) is the return and which on is the vroom? Note: When I click on the pic to see it enlarged the photo flips 180 degrees. So when someone tells me top or bottom, let me know if you are looking at the small pic below, of the larger, flipped version, please.

Attachments
Reference pic 1.jpg
Deep Thoughts
Cruiser
Cruiser
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 23 times

Re: Which cable is which?

Post by Deep Thoughts »

So as to not confuse anyone who reads this thread in the future, understand that those two cables can easily be crossed over each other under that metal retaining tab. The best way to understand which cable is performing its intended function, is to simply identify its position relative to the carb linkage. The top most, or upper cable connection on the butterfly shaft actuator is in the push position, or what the parts diagram calls "close". This cable actually pushes out of its sheath downward, pushing on the cam. This is happening when the throttle is being twisted open. The lower position is pulling open the butterflies, again when twisting throttle to open or accelerating. Please bear in mind, I am speaking of a late model Voyager 12 with factory cruise. Yours may differ, but I am assuming the way the carb is set up to receive the two cables is the same regardless of the presence of a cruise system or not.

So to answer your question directly...while sitting on the motorcycle looking straight down at the carbs, the cable on the left is pushing straight down on the actuator cam. The wire rope is not wrapped around the cam. The cable on the right passes under and around the cam and pulls upward to rotate the butterfly shaft open. So even though these are called "open" and "close" cables, neither one actually forces the butterflies closed. The return spring does that. Both cables are in fact forcing themselves against carb return spring pressure. I believe Kawasaki refers to them as open or close when speaking of the action at the throttle...not at the carbs themselves. I'm still trying to wrap my head around this system. The cruise control really complicates the throttle assemblies.
triton28
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 1987 ZG-1200 B1
1987 ZG-1200 B1
1990 ZG-1200 B4
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 234 times

Post by triton28 »

Here is the throttle mechanism from a set of carbs I am rehabilitating.
The copper tag is attached to where the nipple of the opening cable would be inserted.
The RED arrow points to where the nipple of the close/return cable would be inserted.
Dave
Attachments
throtleinkage 002.JPG
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '97 XII
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250
'82 Silverwing Sushiguzzi
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 549 times

Post by Nails »

Just twist the throttle a little and see how the cables move.
Deep Thoughts wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:11 amI'm still trying to wrap my head around this system. The cruise control really complicates the throttle assemblies.
Indeed. As an aside ... the throttle rail has a CC cancel switch that I've argued is totally unnecessary because it doesn't confer any added safety at all. There are several other more effective cancel switches on brakes and the clutch. But I've changed my mind. I don't think this switch is for safety, it's to protect the CC actuator. If you're in cruise and forget it, then when you twist the throttle you're working against the actuator. This switch turns off the actuator (opens the electric clutch that locks the actuator to this whole throttle cable fiasco).
--
Nails
Chris Cochran
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2005 Virago 250
2006 Vulcan 750
1986 Voyager XII
Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by Chris Cochran »

Thanks to the tribe-at-large for passing on the tribal knowledge on the subject. I asked because in the Tech Tip section it is written by Bruce Kauffman (in reference to removing the carbs) to remove the "closing cable" first. But Bill Overton says simply to remove them both, not stating anything about if there is one to do first.

I don't see much about what difference it makes but...... doesn't hurt to ask.

For NAILS: Both cables move when the throttle is twisted so it's a bit confusing.
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '97 XII
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250
'82 Silverwing Sushiguzzi
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 549 times

Post by Nails »

I meant, see how they move when you open the throttle versus when you close it. You know what open and close are on the throttle. The carbs (even when when disconnected) rest in the closed position. Seemed pretty straight-forward the last time I was in there trying to figure it out.
--
Nails
grumpy72
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2013 vstar 650
99 shadow 1100
93 voyager 1200
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 15 times

Post by grumpy72 »

Nails it is complicated. I love the bike, and hate the cable system.

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”