Pilot jet question

Got a tech tip for Voyager 12's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Chris Cochran
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2005 Virago 250
2006 Vulcan 750
1986 Voyager XII
Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 58 times

Pilot jet question

Post by Chris Cochran »

Ok, I see where I am told to punch a hole in the existing pilot jet plug to remove it.

Then, when re-assembling it says "Install a new plug in the pilot screw hole, and apply a small amount of a bonding agent to the circumference of the plug to fix the plug".

So, my question is: Why re-plug it? I am interpreting this re-plugging statement to be ritualistic legalese speak to make the EPA happy.
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '97 XII
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250
'82 Silverwing Sushiguzzi
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 548 times

Re: Pilot jet question

Post by Nails »

Mine were unplugged when I got it and still are.

Note that this is very difficult to adjust when on the bike. Those normal special tools don't work on these bikes -- too little clearance. I fabricated a tiny tool (by grinding on an L-shaped allen), and I carry it on the road to accommodate big elevation changes on long trips. But you don't really need it, unless maybe going to Peru. (My bike definitely didn't like low RPMs at 12k ft, even though I originally set the pilots for 8k where I live.) But honestly, I've only messed with it a few times on the road.

If the carbs are off, I recommend (gently) bottoming the pilots and then using a Dremel to mark where the slot lines up. With a dentist's mirror, you can keep track of changes without bottoming again like you're really supposed to. I adjust a quarter turn, and then check that all jets really are the same. Repeat as necessary.
These users liked Nails's post:
Chris Cochran (Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:49 pm)
Rating: 12.5%
--
Nails
Chris Cochran
Traveler
Traveler
2006 Vulcan 750
1986 Voyager XII

Post by Chris Cochran »

Ok, I'm having problems posting the pictures that I want. I drag a given pic over to post and yet a different pic shows up. Let me try this again.

Incidentally, all the plugs were in mine (don't know if original or not). Carbs #1 and 2 the pilot jets were roughly two turns out. But carb #3 was bottomed out completely and #4 was only 1/4 turn from bottom. Weird.

Anyway, my current conundrum is that the replacement pilot jets are longer than the originals by quite a bit. When installed and given the two turns out, the top comes out higher than the boss.

Is this going to be a problem or should I just clean and replace with original jets?

Attachments
Old jet right new jet left.jpg
New jet is above boss - old jets were well below.jpg
Chris Cochran
Traveler
Traveler
2006 Vulcan 750
1986 Voyager XII

Post by Chris Cochran »

I'm going to use them. The tips are the same, the replacements are just longer on the back end.

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”