Carlsbad &etc

Visited a nice place? Taken a great ride? Wonder where to go on your next ride? Check it out here!

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '97 XII
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250
'82 Silverwing Sushiguzzi
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 544 times

Re: busted flat

Post by Nails »

GrandpaDenny wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:57 pmum... ya think that could be the problem?
No evidence of a leak, if that's what you mean. But I have been worried about "blowing a sparkplug through the battery tray" as Dave suggested -- except it's #4 and would've ricocheted through my knee. I'm glad that resurrected head got me through the whole riding season; and I'll be gladder to get it fixed right. (Let's just say that I've avoided messing with that plug.)

For the record, I got the idea for restoring those threads from Mr. Leo. But I should add that this was in the context of saving one summer ride then coming up, not necessarily this fall one too.

During today's limp home (after returning the U-Haul), my XII is running worse -- more clearly missing on two cylinders. And I was getting pops in the exhaust system, presumably from pumping unburned gas into there. (Looking back, I started getting occasional popping even on the Natchez Trace.)

Anyway, I'm glad to have the bike safely in my shed, even though riding it over Glorieta Pass on two cylinders was frank abuse.
--
Nails
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250

Home

Post by Nails »

One final comment, which is sorta part of this trip: driving further down the freeway to drop off the U-Haul. A few cars were parked on the opposite (north-bound) shoulder looking at a big pile of black substance. Coming home (on that side of the freeway) I saw it was a dead bison, dumped right there on the shoulder. The closest bison herd I know of is north of here.

I reckon New Mexico can be weird, too.

(Sending in case you need an intriguing intro for the crime novel you're writing.)

[Edit: New Mexico can be very weird. What I thought (driving by) was a bison was really a yak. It got loose about 40 miles away and had been lurking for a few weeks before finally getting hit on the freeway. I hear that the car was badly damaged.]
--
Nails
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250

Addendum

Post by Nails »

I mentioned going on a short ride with a neighbor in Ohio who was recovering after a friend of his was killed on a bike by a woman distracted by her phone.

Ironically, the day after I left Ohio, another woman hit (and run) this neighbor as he was walking at a gas station. In his Get Well card, I asked mom to write that walking is dangerous -- he should only ride.
These users liked Nails's post:
cushman eagle (Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:39 pm)
Rating: 12.5%
--
Nails
Bonnie and Clyde
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 1998 Voyager xii Green and Black
2007 KTM Super Enduro 950
2019 KTM xcw 300 TPI
Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 49 times

Re: Carlsbad &etc

Post by Bonnie and Clyde »

That is terrible news about your buddy
These users liked Bonnie and Clyde's post:
cushman eagle (Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:39 pm)
Rating: 12.5%
wishing I was riding around the world
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250

Post by Nails »

Yeah, nice guy. His retirement job is driving school buses -- this year he supervises all that. He talked about how he especially likes taking the XC team to meets because he used to coach XC.

Although I haven't talked to him, mom says he's recovering at home after a brief trip to the hospital. And the woman was apprehended using cameras at the gas station.

I'm optimistic he'll be back on that old Road King before long. (He also has a Cavalcade, in parts, in a shed.)
--
Nails
triton28
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 1987 ZG-1200 B1
1987 ZG-1200 B1
1990 ZG-1200 B4
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 234 times

Post by triton28 »

Apart from the mechanical trouble at the tail end, it looks and sounds as though you had an otherwise enjoyable trip.
Thanks for the commentary and photos, it's always nice to learn about other areas of our world.
Hopefully your misfiring is only a bolt on item replacement.
Dave
These users liked triton28's post:
Nails (Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:46 pm) • cushman eagle (Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:59 am)
Rating: 25%

Return to “Travel Reports, Ideas, Questions, Suggestions”