98 Voyager coolant question

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Sparky66
Current bike(s): 1998 kawasaki voyager XII
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

98 Voyager coolant question

Post by Sparky66 »

I have a 98 Voyager that had a coolant leak at the four orings on the cross tube feeding the head. It has a red coolant currently but I now need to top off per the leak. Manual says to use Ethylene Glycol + corrosion and rust inhibitors. Can I assume I have Ethylene or do I completely drain and start fresh?
If I drain and start fresh what is the concensus on what to use? Looking for coolant recomendations I guess.
Thanks in advance!

FYI Previous owner is deceased so I can't just ask.
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '97 XII
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250
'82 Silverwing Sushiguzzi
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 548 times

Re: 98 Voyager coolant question

Post by Nails »

I'd drain it, flush it with Prestone flush stuff, and then refill with ordinary green antifreeze.
These users liked Nails's post:
cushman eagle (Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:48 am)
Rating: 12.5%
--
Nails
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '99 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1958 Cushman Eagle restoration has been finished,and have put 3030 miles on her!
Has liked: 810 times
Been liked: 273 times

Post by cushman eagle »

Sparky66,I would agree with Nails :thmup:
Just make sure you use an anti freeze rated for aluminum engines,which most are. :thk:
'99 Voyager VXII,'58 Cushman Eagle
Chris Cochran
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2005 Virago 250
2006 Vulcan 750
1986 Voyager XII
Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by Chris Cochran »

I use "Engine Ice" coolant.
Sparky66

Post by Sparky66 »

Thanks everyone. It's good to have 2nd and 3rd confirming opinions!
GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500
Has liked: 431 times
Been liked: 393 times

Post by GrandpaDenny »

I'll add another confirmation - green Prestone is what Gertrude gets. Thanks for reminding me that I never fixed the coolant pipe o-rings that started leaking last winter. Forgot all about them. Oops. Still on The List Of Things That I Have Been Too Busy Riding To Fix.

On that note, one of the first things on that list was the carbs. Three years ago almost to the day I bought Gertrude with 54000 miles on her for $800. The carbs were so hosed she wouldn't hit 3000 rpm. Been running SeaFoam and Techron in her for those three years and 43000 miles (she's actually getting closer to 98k daily - should probably make 100k before Yule). Just received her new freshly rebuilt carbs from Carl Leo in the mail today. Perhaps tomorrow when I get home from work I'll pull the old ones out, pack them up and get them ready to send to him. Or at least start on the process of removing them. I'm changing out the lower air box too. Hopefully the carb boots aren't irretrievably mangled.
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
2000 Voyager XII "Gertrude" - deceased
1993 Vulcan 88 "Emily"

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

VXII Manuals:
https://amervoyassoc.org/zg1200manuals.php
Sparky66

Post by Sparky66 »

Gertrude🤣. I'll have to think of a name for mine if it's a requirement.
Thanks for the coolant feedback
GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500
Has liked: 431 times
Been liked: 393 times

Post by GrandpaDenny »

Sparky66 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:36 pm Gertrude🤣. I'll have to think of a name for mine if it's a requirement.
Thanks for the coolant feedback
Dude, it was weird... I had gotten off the bus and was walking toward the seller's house to see the bike for the first time, and "Gertrude" popped into my head about a block away. NOT a name I would have picked on my own LOL. Then when I saw her she looked like a sad, dirty elephant, so she's "Gertrude The Elephant". I hated her when I first saw her, and mind you a Voyager XII was (and is) My Dream Bike. But man she was horrible! Square tires, dead battery, fat, slow, clumsy. So at first I decided not to get her. But I couldn't get her out of my head. So I offered him two-thirds of what he was asking (which was already substantially lowered a couple of times) and rode her flabby a$$ home via a gas station and a Pep Boys for a temporary battery. Put some air in the suspension, got some new tires, and off we went. When I discovered much to my surprise how nimble she is in the twisties and how much she loves to do so, she became The Dancing Gazelefant. She's been A Really Good Bike despite her DSPO issues and some shenanigans of my own. She turned over 98000 miles yesterday on the way home from work - that's 44000 miles in three years almost to the day.

Ok I've told this story before and I can get diarrhea of the keyboard so I won't go into more of the gory details except to say she is definitely not the sad, dirty, forlorn, neglected, messed-up $800 bike of three years ago. Now to just get my fat butt off of her long enough to get the new carbs in!!!
These users liked GrandpaDenny's post:
cushman eagle (Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:38 pm) • triton28 (Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:56 pm)
Rating: 25%
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
2000 Voyager XII "Gertrude" - deceased
1993 Vulcan 88 "Emily"

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

VXII Manuals:
https://amervoyassoc.org/zg1200manuals.php

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”