Engine issues/Questions

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

landygrundy86
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 1982 KZ1000P
2000 ZRX1100
1998 KX125
1986 Voyager XII
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times

Engine issues/Questions

Post by landygrundy86 »

Hey All,

This is kinda long and drawn out, but looking for advice, or something obvious I'm missing, you guys always have great answers. I have two Voyagers, 86 and an 01. I bought the 86... and then found out it has 98 bodywork on it... so I'm unsure if the engine is original with 60k on it. It ran ok, but smoked badly, very bad on startup, and then at full temp just huffed blue smoke. Found a the crank vent hose was kinked badly.. no change after fixing that. Figured the extra smoke on start-up is valve seals. so I have an 01 (which was bought as a different project). That supposedly had 30k on it, but I hadn't ran it much when I got it.. and not at all in over year.

I decided to pull the motor out of my 86, and swap in the 01... and then go through the 86 motor and put that back in my project. Motor is in. all necessary electronics are hooked up to get her to run. It fires up and runs, but backfires out of both the carbs and exhaust pretty badly. and seeming a dead cyl #4 (verified 175psi compression). Am I correct that the left side coil runs #1 & #4? and Right side code is #2 & #3? This motor seemed to run ok in the other bike over a year ago and all the electronics worked on the other engine just fine. I swapped the CDI boxes from each bike but that didn't change anything. Certainly, feels like a timing thing to me? The carbs were the same ones on the 86 motor that ran fine. Gas is only a month or so old.
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '97 XII
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250
'82 Silverwing Sushiguzzi
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 548 times

Re: Engine issues/Questions

Post by Nails »

I think you need a repair manual, available from Grandpa Denny’s signature.
--
Nails
triton28
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 1987 ZG-1200 B1
1987 ZG-1200 B1
1990 ZG-1200 B4
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 234 times

Post by triton28 »

Yes the LH coil is #s 1 &4.
If you are certain the 01 engine was running fine then one can assume nothing has changed in so far as the motor itself, provided it hasn't been sitting outdoors in the weather with the inlet/exhaust ports uncovered for the past year. I say this because an unopened for work, long block swap would only be carbs, and maybe alternator/starter motor, and apart from a misaligned/split/cracked rubber carb holders there would not really be anything else to go wrong.
There is no ignition timing adjustment provision on these engines, other than the electronic igniter and the valve timing would require the camshafts to be R&R'd.
I wonder if perhaps something has been misinstalled during the carb install OR failing that, check the plastic plug caps are securely screwed into the plug wires. You can trim 1/4" off the wire and then screw the plug cap into the fresh wire end. Sometimes the plug caps get bumped and break the contact with the wire.
If as you say the '86 is belching BLUE smoke be aware that these engines are extremely expensive to repair as the cost for parts is astronomical. For example 4 piston ring sets are $160.00 plus; head gasket is $70.00 plus; stem seals , (non OEM), are $40.00 and so on. 16 valves take a lot of time to grind and 4 cylinder deglazings are $100.00 or more. It ain't cheap!
My money is on the plug cap/wire connections.
Just some ideas,
Dave
GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500
Has liked: 431 times
Been liked: 393 times

Post by GrandpaDenny »

Nails wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:37 pm I think you need a repair manual, available from Grandpa Denny’s signature.
Hey I represent that remark!

I want to add that if the 86 has the original igniter (I don't recall the part number) you'd definitely want to use the one from the 01. If the part numbers stenciled on the igniters are the same, then don't worry about it, it'd already been changed. There was (is) an issue with the original igniters on the 86s causing very very expensive starter chain breakage.

Hope you get it figured out. Keep us posted!
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
2000 Voyager XII "Gertrude" - deceased
1993 Vulcan 88 "Emily"

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

VXII Manuals:
https://amervoyassoc.org/zg1200manuals.php
landygrundy86
Streetster
Streetster
2000 ZRX1100
1998 KX125
1986 Voyager XII

Post by landygrundy86 »

GrandpaDenny wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:46 pm
Nails wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:37 pm I think you need a repair manual, available from Grandpa Denny’s signature.
Hey I represent that remark!

I want to add that if the 86 has the original igniter (I don't recall the part number) you'd definitely want to use the one from the 01. If the part numbers stenciled on the igniters are the same, then don't worry about it, it'd already been changed. There was (is) an issue with the original igniters on the 86s causing very very expensive starter chain breakage.

Hope you get it figured out. Keep us posted!
Yep, both igniters are the updated versions. I remember this from my first '86. I did swap them and verify nothing changed.
These users liked landygrundy86's post:
GrandpaDenny (Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:38 am)
Rating: 12.5%
landygrundy86
Streetster
Streetster
2000 ZRX1100
1998 KX125
1986 Voyager XII

Post by landygrundy86 »

triton28 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:59 pm Yes the LH coil is #s 1 &4.
If you are certain the 01 engine was running fine then one can assume nothing has changed in so far as the motor itself, provided it hasn't been sitting outdoors in the weather with the inlet/exhaust ports uncovered for the past year. I say this because an unopened for work, long block swap would only be carbs, and maybe alternator/starter motor, and apart from a misaligned/split/cracked rubber carb holders there would not really be anything else to go wrong.
There is no ignition timing adjustment provision on these engines, other than the electronic igniter and the valve timing would require the camshafts to be R&R'd.
I wonder if perhaps something has been misinstalled during the carb install OR failing that, check the plastic plug caps are securely screwed into the plug wires. You can trim 1/4" off the wire and then screw the plug cap into the fresh wire end. Sometimes the plug caps get bumped and break the contact with the wire.
If as you say the '86 is belching BLUE smoke be aware that these engines are extremely expensive to repair as the cost for parts is astronomical. For example 4 piston ring sets are $160.00 plus; head gasket is $70.00 plus; stem seals , (non OEM), are $40.00 and so on. 16 valves take a lot of time to grind and 4 cylinder deglazings are $100.00 or more. It ain't cheap!
My money is on the plug cap/wire connections.
Just some ideas,
Dave
Sure enough... cut 1/4in or so off each lead. I also swapped #2 and #3 (whether that did anything I'm not sure), but #4 is firing! I swear I checked spark at least 10 times haha. I'll be going through the other motor in time and get that back in my project bike at some point. Thankfully i seem to have a spare of almost everything now which is always nice. I appreciate all the info!
These users liked landygrundy86's post:
cushman eagle (Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:10 pm) • GrandpaDenny (Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:38 am)
Rating: 25%

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”