Farkle me this...

For general motorcycle related use, news, and observations.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Deep Thoughts
Cruiser
Cruiser
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 23 times

Farkle me this...

Post by Deep Thoughts »

A curious mind wants to know...who among us has the highest number of factory available farkles on their steed? I am speaking of the items that were only available from Mother Kaw or her suppliers like Markland. Here is a great list for reference. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12627

I counted 10 farkles, which seems really low based on that list. Feel free to state your aftermarket toys as well. I keep my gadgets to the minimum. GPS, TPMS, driving lights and 12V acc outlet. I am also going to all LED (sans the dash) on the product recommendations of a recent post by Grandpa Denny.

What say this group of bedazzled bike owners? :hmm:
triton28
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 1987 ZG-1200 B1
1987 ZG-1200 B1
1990 ZG-1200 B4
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 234 times

Re: Farkle me this...

Post by triton28 »

At present I have 29 of the K53002 optional accessories on one '87. As well I have complete CBs, speaker covers, tail bags and trailer hitches on 2 of the bikes, the aforementioned '87 included as one of those 2.
My favourite accessory, for humour reasons alone, is the backup buzzer contained within the rear accessory light. It is switched separate from the light itself and can be turned on when wheeling the bike backwards. I would have to say it is a little ostentatious to have a buzzer on a small vehicle such as a motorcycle but it does elicit some laughs when I use it. All in good fun I say.
A shout out to Bill O from Nevada for convincing me of the benefit of this rear light when adjusting/hooking up trailer related issues at night when it is dark out.
I would say, after talking with Carl Leo about accessories one time, that the elusive fabric false tank bag is the rarest item out there, somewhere out there.
Dave
GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500
Has liked: 432 times
Been liked: 393 times

Post by GrandpaDenny »

I didn't know the was a Kaw factory available tank bag. Man that would be so cool. The one I have (not factory) is big and awesome but very old and faded. I never thought I'd like a tank bag much, but it has been invaluable and one of my favorite add-ons.

From the factory, Gertrude was a very plain bike. Only factory add-on I know of is the rear fender brake/tail light. At some point the emblems on the trunk had been removed, both the Kawasaki emblem and the Voyager XII script on the taillight. Unknown who/when.

Things added to bike before I bought her:
- Highway pegs
- Chrome passenger floorboard covers

Things I've added:
- Midland 75-622 CB
- Baofeng UV-5R 2m/70cm
- LED lighting - headlight, taillights, turn signals
- LED driving/fog combo lights
- Diamond custom seat
- Headed grip covers
- LED bar end turn signals
- Heated seats
- Phone mount with wireless charger and USB
- USB with voltmeter
- 12v power port
- Garmin GPS with weather and traffic
- Radar detector
- GoPro mount
- Homebrew 2m/70cm antenna
- Factory CB antenna mount with 1100 Goldwing folding antenna
- Braided stainless steel brake lines
- Sintered front brake pads
- Flashing LED third (ok, actually fourth) brake light
- LED light strips on trunk (presently wired as tail/marker lights, at some point will get off my a$$ and wire up the turn signals
- Custom fork boots (actually the old rear shock boots)
- Progressive fork springs
- Progressive shocks
- Factory backrest adapted to Diamond custom seat
- Factory cruise control box (switches and lights) on tank removed and bypassed.
- Kuryakn cup holder and mount
- Sena SR10 bluetooth hub
- Factory engine guard tie-bar with light mounts.
- Removable bicycle carrier
- Homebrew mount for 2m/70cm handheld

I think that's everything. Oh, the most recent addition is a lovely passenger.

One other thing, I had Iridium plugs in her, pulled them after 50k-ish miles, they looked, well, very old, used, and worn. Replaced them with factory plugs. I'm not so convinced of the value of Iridiums, and it's not that hard to change plugs with the proper tools. Actually it's quite easy with the proper tools. I learned over the weekend that the Concours 1000 spark plug socket works fantastic on all four plugs and it's 3/8" drive. It's deep enough to hold the plug (unlike most spark plug sockets) without interfering with an extension, and short enough to work without having to move the relay pack to do #1 plug.
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
2000 Voyager XII "Gertrude" - deceased
1993 Vulcan 88 "Emily"

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

VXII Manuals:
https://amervoyassoc.org/zg1200manuals.php
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1986 Kawasaki ZN1300 Voyager
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by Van Voyager »

triton28 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:32 am
My favourite accessory, for humour reasons alone, is the backup buzzer contained within the rear accessory light.
That is funny! I'd like to have one of those myself.
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '97 XII
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250
'82 Silverwing Sushiguzzi
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 549 times

Post by Nails »

Yeah, me too. Except I don't ride in groups (who would get the joke); and casual passers-by would just think I'm serious ... and stupid.
--
Nails
Deep Thoughts
Cruiser
Cruiser
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Deep Thoughts »

triton28 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:32 am My favourite accessory, for humour reasons alone, is the backup buzzer...
I actually laughed out loud at this! I just envisioned you on your motorcycle backing up in a crowded parking lot like it was a 10,000 pound fork lift.

"Beep beep beep!" :gig: "Get outta my way!"

Nails is right, most folks would not get the joke. Good humor is lost on more people every day, I'm afraid.
GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500
Has liked: 432 times
Been liked: 393 times

Post by GrandpaDenny »

I just verbally go "beep beep beep" when backing up. Gets a laugh every time. I can only go "beep" three times, then it's grunt grunt grunt and heavy breathing.

From backing the bike up.
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
2000 Voyager XII "Gertrude" - deceased
1993 Vulcan 88 "Emily"

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

VXII Manuals:
https://amervoyassoc.org/zg1200manuals.php

Return to “General Chat”