How to remove Cylinder #2 Spark Plug

Got a tech tip for Voyager 12's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Rhinestone Kawboy
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1988 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1970 Honda CL350 Scrambler
1977 Carabela Marquesa 125 MX
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Cylinder #2 Spark Plug Wire Discrepancy - Help!

Post by Rhinestone Kawboy »

What I did when I had that problem, was remove the two screws as you did, then I could flip the roundish thingy upside down or on it's side and that would move it enough out of the way. Since your plug wire came out, if it is mushroomed (probably is), cut just the mushroom part off, then screw the plug cap back on the wire. Yes, it's tight, but just work patiently at it and you should get it.
Some Guy in PA. with Rhinestones (and lots of LED lights) on his 1988 Custom Voyager XII.
Iron Butt Member #47339
richardb, austin
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): '94 Voyager as of 02/10

Post by richardb, austin »

I just went thru this. The #2 wire was so stiff from 16 years of heat exposure that I couldn't mount the wire in the boot and then put the boot onto the cap. Maybe if I could've mounted the boot onto the plug, THEN put the wire into the boot. I dont think that if the throttle cable roundy thingy had been more out of the way it would've made that much difference. Ultimately I replaced the plug wires. A Christmas gift of sparkplugs turned from a twenty minute (well, so I've heard) job into a 3 week nightmare. Boy new plug wire is really flexible. :bat:
richardb, austin
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): Phone 337-781-8158
Home Phone disconnected.
Previous bikes. Yamaha 180, Honda CM200T, Suzuki 1000LNKawasaki ZRX1100.
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Mr Jensee »

I've mentioned it before, Harbor Freight has some large long neck hemostats ie surgical clamps that are great for getting into tight deep places like those spark plug wells.
For Voyager XII Manuals click the link below.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao3K0Ai2gvglgS3l7J4pBJrjfBhc
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

I couldn't get to H/F so I went to the local store and picked up a weed puller. Make sure it is at least 3/4 of an inch across.A i/2 inch just won't do, not enough metal to create the form.

I used a grinder to shape and a vise to hold. A one inch belt sander well work and if your real poor, a flat bugger (bad word filter changed this, usually refers to a fatherless male child) mill file does the job. Not as fast but it gets it done.

You need to reform it so it well turn about 75 degrees, caution the metal is low quality, mine cracked when trying to go to 90 degrees. If you have a torch then heat it up to aid in the process.

The spark plug caps have an indention or slot in them that allow a puller (factory tool) to pull them.
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator
Current bike(s): 2000 voyager end of year total. 108.634
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 134 times

Re: How to remove Cylinder #2 Spark Plug

Post by ekap1200 »

Nice tool Dave, ;Mac Tools; sells a boot removel tool for that job and I also use a ;Snap On; tool for windshields( for grabing cables and rubber boots on the relay tabs #1plug) that makes the whole job painless. All four plugs can be replaced in an hour without any fuss. The only delay would be If you don't have an air compressor to clean out around the plugs. My grandfather would tell me one grain of sand down the cyl is as bad as ten grains. More harm than good has come from changing plugs if you let dirt enter the combustion chamber. So if your not confident you can clean out the plug area its best left alone for someone else. Not getting anything down into the cyl is the most important part of this task. I have read many a horror story of the dreaded spark plug replacement job on various forums. So here are some pics for those of you that have never tackled this job. And also for those who are looking for an easier way. These pics are of #2 plug which is the trickyiest one. I usually don't use the tools from my bike's tool kit but honestly this bikes got the thumbs up for the spark plug socket supplied. At least for #2 and #3 plugs, I use an 11/16 spark plug socket for #1 & #4. Hope this helps someone out. Gene Kap.

"Its not bad if you don't know something, but when you don't know you don't know; That's when your in trouble". Joe Place 1912-2008 (my grandfather)
Ohio Mike
Cruiser
Cruiser
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Ohio Mike »

Gene -
The red handle pliers - is that the Mac tool and do you know the part number or official name? Also, what is the hex shaft you are grabbing with the tool in the last couple pix?

Thanks,
Ohio Mike
Mike in Celina
03 Goldwing GL1800 / 2018 CSC Trike Kit
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator
Current bike(s): 2000 voyager end of year total. 108.634
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by ekap1200 »

Scott :clap: You got me there ! you figured out what I use that hook tool for. Works great on all the molded rubber relay mounts also ; to remove and install, expecially if you have big'oll hands. also hooks wires or ignition wires. Makes getting the plug wire up and around the cable box and on upward out of the way, as shown in the photo you imported in.
Mike : The red handle tool is the Mack-Tool, ( boot removel pliers-hemi head boot tool for those familiar with Mopar engines.) Don't have the part number, If you know of or just see a Tool truck at a repair shop, just walk on into it, with Cash . The hook tool is the Snap-on tool , (just ask for winshield tool and he'll show you whats in the catalog. And the shinny two part tool is the stock Kawi spark plug socket set that came with the bike, the hex in ,Inch's " is 11/16 ~ 17mm, it has the gripping boot in the bottom ( to grab the plug and a spring ball to hold them together) But; when installing the plug and removing the two part socket/extension: it comes appart. Again I use the boot puller , but grabing the lower part of the socket to remove it from the plug. Then I check if the wires are tight on the caps and presto,back to the hook tool to snake the wire back under the cable box and onto the plug until you hear the ;caps spring; contact the plug. Scott did you view the vidio of the bike idleing?
Anyway hope this helps finding these, tools. Even when I was younger I would use the hook tool for snaking things thru somewhere, you would be surprised how often its useful for. Also works well for older windshied mouldings on cars :!: Gene from NJ
"Its not bad if you don't know something, but when you don't know you don't know; That's when your in trouble". Joe Place 1912-2008 (my grandfather)
Vdriveboater
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 1994 Kawasaki Voyager XII
2019 Suzuki RV200
2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan
1978 Yamaha DT175
2002 Honda VTX1800C
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Vdriveboater »

I just purchased my first "touring" bike, a '94 Voyager XII blue with 45K miles and really nice condition. I've owned an '01 ZRX1200R since '03 and am really impressed with the inline 4 engine, so I figured the Voyager would be a good one too. Does anyone have pics of how the "throttle cable contraption" directly over the plug can be moved out of the way to access the #2 plug for removal/replacement?
triton28
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 1987 ZG-1200 B1
1987 ZG-1200 B1
1990 ZG-1200 B4
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 234 times

Post by triton28 »

There are 2 of round head Phillips drive, (JIS actually), 6mm machine screws which secure the spring housing of the throttle cables to the underside of the battery box LH bottom bracket. Remove these 2 screws and the "contraption" can be moved around and more out of the way.
Dave
Vdriveboater
Cruiser
Cruiser
2019 Suzuki RV200
1978 Yamaha DT175
2002 Honda VTX1800C

Post by Vdriveboater »

Thanks Triton, I'll investigate that. But I believe there's nothing securing the "contraption", other than throttle cables going in and cables going out. Me and the seller were able to move it around somewhat, but the cables prevent it from being moved enough to access the plug. I was hoping there was a simple way to remove either the input or output cables to allow more movement/access.
GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500
Has liked: 431 times
Been liked: 391 times

Post by GrandpaDenny »

There is not a simple way to remove those cables. You should be able to move the "contraption" over to the left enough to access the plug. Now bear in mind that plug is waaaaay down there, so you will need a pair of long spark plug wire pliers to get at it. You won't be able to get your hand down there. Best way to get the plug out after loosening it is with a magnet if it doesn't stick in the plug socket. Same for putting it back in.
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
2000 Voyager XII "Gertrude" - deceased
1993 Vulcan 1500

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

Manuals:
https://amervoyassoc.org/zg1200manuals.php
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '99 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1958 Cushman Eagle restoration has been finished,and have put 3030 miles on her!
Has liked: 808 times
Been liked: 271 times

Post by cushman eagle »

I have been able to move the connector box out of the way,after removing the screws,anough to change the number 2 plug. :thmup:
Always keep in mind,Blow The Dirt out of the plug wells before removing the plugs :hmm:
'99 Voyager VXII,'58 Cushman Eagle
Vdriveboater
Cruiser
Cruiser
2019 Suzuki RV200
1978 Yamaha DT175
2002 Honda VTX1800C

Post by Vdriveboater »

Thanks for the tips guys, I'm hoping to have some time to tackle this tomorrow or during the week, mixed in with lots of lawn to mow, tomatoes to plant (long story), mixing and spraying neem oil on new cucumbers, and other garden/outdoor necessities. I did buy four NGK Iridium plugs today, I heard they work well with our bike. The seller had to use starting fluid to get it going when cold, hopefully the plugs were a big cause of that. I'm pretty sure the carbs will need cleaning too.
GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500
Has liked: 431 times
Been liked: 391 times

Post by GrandpaDenny »

cushman eagle wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:16 am Blow The Dirt out of the plug wells before removing the plugs
Absolutely, definitely, positively! You'd be amazed at how much junk collects in there. Even if you don't see anything (Gertrude had all kinds of wierd and nasty things in there first time I changed her plugs) there is a LOT of dirt that collects in there.
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
2000 Voyager XII "Gertrude" - deceased
1993 Vulcan 1500

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

Manuals:
https://amervoyassoc.org/zg1200manuals.php
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '97 XII
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250
'82 Silverwing Sushiguzzi
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 544 times

Post by Nails »

In particular, oily sand. And the occasional abandoned metal sparkplug gasket.

These deep wells are supposed to drain out through tunnels (a charming notion) that run toward/beneath the carburetors. Degrease and blow these out, too. And mind your valve cover gaskets.

Merely "blowing out" might not get it.

And don't get me started on the difficulty running compression checks ... while the engine is still "warm".

This is a seriously crappy design. I've considered fabbing some sand covers like I've seen in other applications. (Adding to abundant evidence that I'm just another dust-blown rider.)
--
Nails
Vdriveboater
Cruiser
Cruiser
2019 Suzuki RV200
1978 Yamaha DT175
2002 Honda VTX1800C

Post by Vdriveboater »

Successfully replaced all the plugs with the NGK Iridium type. By loosening the clamp on the left side coolant hose and rotating the clamp clockwise so that the screw was out of the way, along with removing the coolant hose that's on top and pushing it to the side, I was able to get the cruise control/throttle cable contraption up and out of the way enough to remove and replace the #2 plug.
These users liked Vdriveboater's post:
GrandpaDenny (Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:08 pm) • cushman eagle (Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:17 am)
Rating: 25%
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '99 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1958 Cushman Eagle restoration has been finished,and have put 3030 miles on her!
Has liked: 808 times
Been liked: 271 times

Post by cushman eagle »

We are glad you got it done successfully :thmup:
Congratulations :woohoo:
'99 Voyager VXII,'58 Cushman Eagle
Vdriveboater
Cruiser
Cruiser
2019 Suzuki RV200
1978 Yamaha DT175
2002 Honda VTX1800C

Post by Vdriveboater »

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions! Now I'm going to tackle the "extremely difficult" cold start issue (with a new post).

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”