Carb Vents?

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

glvnthedream
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2002 Kawasaki Voyager XII 1200
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 14 times

Carb Vents?

Post by glvnthedream »

I read through the other posts but didn’t find what I was looking for. When replacing my choke cable the vent hoses on the carbs disconnected taking out the filter assembly. One went on with the first try, the other is kicking my ass.

Are these absolutely required or can I run without one attached?

Thanks in advance
IMG_9529.jpeg
triton28
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 1987 ZG-1200 B1
1987 ZG-1200 B1
1990 ZG-1200 B4
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 234 times

Re: Carb Vents?

Post by triton28 »

Those hoses are open ended one end and are connected at the other end to plastic tees which connect #1 carb with #2 carb and #3 carb with #4 carb. The purpose of the hoses is to provide weather tight venting for the float chambers. As you probably already know the hoses travel on top of the lower air box in the 2 grooves formed in the top of the lower air box and the open ends point downward to prevent any water/weather from getting in to the float chambers.
While one could theoretically run the engine without the hoses it is inadvisable to do so for the reason given above. Not to mention dust and airborne contaminants as well could enter without the complete length of hose installed. The engine will run without the hoses installed.
Dave
Edit: the black plastic tees the hoses attach to have a long leg on each side of the tee, probably an inch or so into each carb body. They cannot be replaced with out disassembling the carbs from the rack. Hopefully yours didn't break off.
These users liked triton28's post:
glvnthedream (Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:21 pm)
Rating: 12.5%
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '97 XII
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250
'82 Silverwing Sushiguzzi
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 548 times

Post by Nails »

triton28 wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:32 pmHopefully yours didn't break off.
These Tees often are rotten, basically fallen apart before you even touch them.

(Dontcha just love fussing with the carbs?)
--
Nails
glvnthedream
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by glvnthedream »

triton28 wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:32 pm Those hoses are open ended one end and are connected at the other end to plastic tees which connect #1 carb with #2 carb and #3 carb with #4 carb. The purpose of the hoses is to provide weather tight venting for the float chambers. As you probably already know the hoses travel on top of the lower air box in the 2 grooves formed in the top of the lower air box and the open ends point downward to prevent any water/weather from getting in to the float chambers.
While one could theoretically run the engine without the hoses it is inadvisable to do so for the reason given above. Not to mention dust and airborne contaminants as well could enter without the complete length of hose installed. The engine will run without the hoses installed.
Dave
Edit: the black plastic tees the hoses attach to have a long leg on each side of the tee, probably an inch or so into each carb body. They cannot be replaced with out disassembling the carbs from the rack. Hopefully yours didn't break off.
The tee that I am fighting with does not stay stationary and keeps moving down when I try and get the hose on. So, it did NOT break off thank God. The task will continue until I get the dang thing on. I PRAY I do not have to disassemble the carbs.

Once I get this done I will be posting for help getting the center stand installed as I have no idea how it works. Got one off of eBay but it looks like I will need a couple of additional springs that are missing. The bike did not come with one installed. If anyone could snap a pic of the center stand from under the bike, that would be awesome. Both, in the stow position and extended with the bike lifted.

Thank you
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '97 XII
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250
'82 Silverwing Sushiguzzi
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 548 times

Post by Nails »

See viewtopic.php?p=96093#p96093. The fuel-line tee rolls over the same as the vents, but it's stiffer and more difficult to slip onto the tee. Keep smiling. :-D
These users liked Nails's post:
glvnthedream (Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:22 pm)
Rating: 12.5%
--
Nails
glvnthedream
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by glvnthedream »

Should be a medal given if you find a way to do this without giving up after a couple hours. I like the hemostat idea.

It is truly a test of patience and stamina. Haha
Nails wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:34 pm See viewtopic.php?p=96093#p96093. The fuel-line tee rolls over the same as the vents, but it's stiffer and more difficult to slip onto the tee. Keep smiling. :-D

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”