Alternative coils

Got a tech tip for Voyager 12's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '97 XII
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250
'82 Silverwing Sushiguzzi
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 549 times

Alternative coils

Post by Nails »

It chaps my hide that there are no new coils to fit XIIs. God knows, I wouldn't put a used coil in my 1980 GMC pickup! (But I might've stuck in one from an even older Scout.)

First off, for the purposes of this discussion, let's just kinda pretend that I have no earthy idea what I'm talking about with this electrical mambo-jumbo. Okay?

In reality, I have the vast experience of once putting a Nology coil in a thumper, which (I'd like to say) practically doubled the engine's output. But I don't so much like to say that actually the bike ran just like normal, exactly as everybody said it would. So I put "racing" (below) in quotes. In this post, I'm just going for the availability/reliability of a new coil.

Back to the XII. I notice that our coils have a spec of 1.8 - 2.8 ohm in the primary winding ... like basically every other motorcycle "of a certain age" (read "points"). I also notice a lot of coils advertised for other bikes, like say a CB900, look an awful lot like the coils in my XII. They're cheap and surely Chinese, with different threading on the connectors and dubious quality, but I digress. I'm going for quality/reliability here.

I also notice that Dynatek makes a "racing" 3 ohm coil which immediately raises the question, "What's the worse that could happen?" That, in turn, immediately-er raises the answer: "You could fry the igniter."

Back to the coil, I understand that the slightly higher primary resistance (3 ohm instead of about 2.5 ohm) would just result in a higher spark voltage. But my question is, what are the chances that the igniter couldn't abide? (This is another low-risk, high-hazard decision -- slim chance but igniters are pricey.)

Please phrase your replies in simple language for the benefit of others who might not be hip to this electrical mambo-jumbo. Okay?

[Edit: of course, just after posting this, I found a Dynatek 2.2 ohm coil set: https://www.denniskirk.com/dynatek/2-2- ... 200459.sku. Pricey, but worth it to me for reliability. I don't see the primary connectors, and would need to put real (male) ends on the sparkplug wires.]
These users liked Nails's post:
cushman eagle (Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:09 am)
Rating: 12.5%
--
Nails
SgtSlag
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1993 Voyager XII (2010)
(2006-2012: 1979 Honda CB750K)
(2008-2010: 1983 Kawasaki 440LTD, belt drive)
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 218 times

Re: Alternative coils

Post by SgtSlag »

To achieve maximum power transfer, the two 'ends' have to have nearly equal impedance/resistance, so the closer you are to the specified range, the better. The 2.2 Ohm coil is near ideal (2.5 Ohm), well within the range specified by Kawi. It should be good.

My 1979 Honda CB750K had old, weak, OEM coils. New coils were pricey, so I went for NGK Iridium spark plugs, hoping for the best...

Normally, I had to grind the starter, 4-6 seconds, rest, then grind again, to get the Honda to start. After I installed the new plugs, I hit the button, and the bike was running!!! I literally jumped in surprise!

I went the same route with my XII: no issues starting it, but I wanted some insurance on the ignition system. They're around $10/plug, but that is very affordable insurance.

They've been installed for 11 years, 30,000 miles, without issue. Cheers!
These users liked SgtSlag's post:
cushman eagle (Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:09 am)
Rating: 12.5%
SgtSlag

1993 Voyager XII

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”