Vacuum molded covers/3D printed covers?

For general motorcycle related use, news, and observations.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

SgtSlag
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1993 Voyager XII (2010)
(2006-2012: 1979 Honda CB750K)
(2008-2010: 1983 Kawasaki 440LTD, belt drive)
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 218 times

Vacuum molded covers/3D printed covers?

Post by SgtSlag »

While viewing the engine cover topic, I realized that it should be possible to vacuum form motorcycle side covers. I am familiar with vacuum forming from my 7th grade Industrial Arts class, where I made a couple of wall hangings using this technique.

I realize that there are limits to how thick the plastic sheet can be, used to make the covers. It just seems like this would be a relatively easy way to replace Unobtanium side cover parts, for nearly any bike. It would be an art form, of course, especially if you need to sculpt one you don't have to use as a 'master' to make replacements from. They would be far more fragile, but if they are inexpensive enough, an owner could purchase several, and keep spares on hand.

Painting them to match is another challenge, but, honestly, a person could buy both sides, and paint them the same, to create a relative match, which might pass as, "Good enough."

The other option, which is outside of my expertise, is to create a 3D printer file for them, and print them, with 3D labels and logos, sculpted into them. To be honest, this might be the best route to go.

In my experiences working with 3D printed miniature figures for my tabletop war games, however, the UV-cured resins tend to be very brittle. There are rubber-like resins available, but their price is typically 3x higher, or more. Not sure how well the rubber-like resins will take paint, either.

A 3D scanner would make it super easy to create the STL files. I believe a computer program could manipulate one side's STL file, duplicating it for the other side, inverting it appropriately -- should be relatively easy to create the other side's STL file this way.

It seems like there could be a market for this, but it might be limited in customers, for older bikes. Still, it would be awesome to be able to find those impossible-to-get side covers, and engine covers, or at least a reasonable facsimile there of! Paint can cover up a multitude of sins, especially at a distance.
:devl

To be honest, if a person had a 3D scanner, and the proper software, I think they could scan the real covers from one side, 3D print a model of the opposite side's cover, then vacuum form both sides, making as many replacements as needed/ordered.

Sounds like a possible Etsy business...

Has anyone heard of a business doing these types of products yet? Inquiring minds want to know. Cheers! :thmup:

PS:

If anyone wants to tackle this idea, I would recommend applying some sort of 2-part epoxy on the inside of the vacuum formed cover, to strengthen it. It should be possible to brush on layers of 2-part epoxy on the inside, which won't be seen, to strengthen it. Attachment to the bike is another matter to be figured out, but I don't believe that would be too difficult to achieve. Possibly use rare-earth magnets epoxied to the covers?

Missing side covers are always a huge turn-off for me, on used bikes. I can't believe I never thought of the idea of vacuum forming covers before. +Cheers!+
These users liked SgtSlag's post:
cushman eagle (Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:00 pm)
Rating: 12.5%
SgtSlag

1993 Voyager XII
GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500
Has liked: 431 times
Been liked: 393 times

Re: Vacuum molded covers/3D printed covers?

Post by GrandpaDenny »

I was looking at a 3D printer a couple of weeks ago (I missed out, and it was free, rats) and one of the spools it came with was ABS, which is what our bikes' plastic parts are made of.
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
2000 Voyager XII "Gertrude" - deceased
1993 Vulcan 88 "Emily"

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

VXII Manuals:
https://amervoyassoc.org/zg1200manuals.php
SgtSlag
King of the Road
King of the Road

Post by SgtSlag »

I thought about that, as well: ABS spools for 3D printing. The extruder 3D printers leave fine layer lines, but with a bag of cotton balls, several pairs of neoprene gloves, and some Acetone, you should be able to 'erase' those layer lines, relatively easily -- ABS Glue is just ABS plastic dissolved into an Acetone suspension.

I think the thin, vacuum formed plastic, once painted with a few layers of 2-part epoxy on the inside, would become quite rigid, and strong enough for road use. I would love to play with it.

I've had a hankering for a vacuum forming rig, since 7th grade, back in the late 1970's. Never had a 'legitimate' use for one (still don't, my V-XII has its side covers). LOL! Cheers!
cushman eagle (Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:15 am)
SgtSlag

1993 Voyager XII
SgtSlag
King of the Road
King of the Road

Post by SgtSlag »

ABS Plastic is easy to work with. My 1979 Honda had a Vetter Vindicator fairing, when I bought it. I modified the bike for touring, two-up. I searched, and I searched, for a pair of CB750K Vetter Lowers, to protect our legs in the rain. Scarcer than Hen's Teeth!

I finally bought a used pair of Gold Wing Lowers (year did not matter -- Gold Wing Lowers were about the only type on the market at that time). I held them against my bike's engine side, to see where/how they needed to be cut, to fit. I did it for both sides.

The Vetter company's technicians looked at each year/make/model bike, to see how they could fabricate a fairing mount for each bike, to hold their fairings. By extension, I figured out they did the same for Lowers: hold up a standard stock Lower, to each bike type, and cut to fit, to learn how to make more, for customers to order! The Vetter Lowers were made to attach to any Vetter fairing. I learned much of this from Craig Vetter, through e-mail messages we exchanged, around that time.

I discovered that cutting ABS Plastic is straightforward, and it is relatively easy to do a clean job of it, with minimal skills (me -- minimal skills!).

I cut my Gold Wing Lowers to fit my CB750, added some red pinstriping (first time ever attempted: crude, but good at a distance...) to match the Vindicator above them, attaching them with new plugs/clips purchased from Craig's website, circa 2008-9?

Greatest thing I learned from my limited communications with Craig Vetter, was that things were a lot easier to fabricate, than I imagined, or thought. I really respect Craig Vetter. His designs were brilliant. I loved, and personally enjoyed, his products growing up with my Dad riding and using Craig's products; I used them, as well, on two of my bikes. The Voyager's Tupperware is directly drawn from Craig's design work. On top of that, Craig is a super nice guy. Wish I could meet him in person, to shake his hand, to thank him, and share my appreciation of his work. Frame-mounted fairings, with Lowers, are amazing, and a total game-changer in motorcycling. Cheers!
:perfect10: :perfect10:
cushman eagle (Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:15 am)
SgtSlag

1993 Voyager XII
GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500
Has liked: 431 times
Been liked: 393 times

Post by GrandpaDenny »

SgtSlag wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:00 pm I cut my Gold Wing Lowers to fit my CB750, added some red pinstriping (first time ever attempted: crude, but good at a distance...) to match the Vindicator above them, attaching them with new plugs/clips purchased from Craig's website, circa 2008-9?

Atomic pile to power!
Turbines to speed!

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na Batcycle!
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
2000 Voyager XII "Gertrude" - deceased
1993 Vulcan 88 "Emily"

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

VXII Manuals:
https://amervoyassoc.org/zg1200manuals.php

Return to “General Chat”