brake questions, cleaning parts question

Got a tech tip for Voyager 12's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

grumpy72
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2013 vstar 650
99 shadow 1100
93 voyager 1200
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 15 times

brake questions, cleaning parts question

Post by grumpy72 »

I know my 93 runs. I have much of it disassembled. I am ging to get new carbs from carl leo. And cavles. But my front brake and clutch lever are limp.Multtiple questions:
1. when I have dealt with this on multiple other ujms I had to bleed the lines like crazy, I bought a mightyvac, had little success. Whether it was at the clutch, the brake front and rear, or a slave cylinder. Burping at the banjo worked on a stubborn 1500 suzuki. Is there a secret to doing this better. On a xj 650 the calpiers wouldnt budge, I had to rebuild the master cylinder, emery cloth the bore,one piston was so stuck I tried compressed air on the bleeder screw, finally got it out using grease gun, brake line plugged with a bolt I got at ace. I concur somethimes its justbetter to buy replacement cylinders. All that having been said, what do yall use for cleaning parts. I had a gallon of cleaner that was $50 but didnt work better than apple cider vinegar. Brake cleaner on the brakes? I will not venture out of my yard until I get the brakes 100%. Thabk you for the input. When yall see what I am doing to this bike you will say how sacrilege is that bike. Basically its more of an eddie lawson, kz 1200 bike I am shooting for.
grumpy72
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2013 vstar 650
99 shadow 1100
93 voyager 1200
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 15 times

Re: brake questions, cleaning parts question

Post by grumpy72 »

cables
SgtSlag
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1993 Voyager XII (2010)
(2006-2012: 1979 Honda CB750K)
(2008-2010: 1983 Kawasaki 440LTD, belt drive)
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 218 times

Re: brake questions, cleaning parts question

Post by SgtSlag »

You can order one-way SpeedBleeder valves: bleeding is a one-man job, opening the one-way valve, at the bottom caliper, you pump the lever, pushing brake fluid out the bottom. Only thing I have against SpeedBleeder valves, is they push the air bubbles downward, against their natural movement upwards. Be sure to keep plenty of fresh Brake Fluid in the reservoir, as you pump it out the bottom of the line, to avoid introducing more air into the system!

You can also reverse-bleed them, pushing fresh fluid up the line, to the reservoir, which is where the bubbles want to go already. Cheers!
SgtSlag

1993 Voyager XII

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”