Adding led strip running lights

Got a tech tip for Vulcan Voyager 1700's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Ace1979
Current bike(s): 2020 Kawasaki Voyager 1700
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Adding led strip running lights

Post by Ace1979 »

There are two ACC connections under the seat on the right side of the bike. First, are these ignitions controlled or are they "always on"? What I want to do is I have two amber color led strips that i will be using for extra running lights not blinkers. They have three wires, Black, Red, and yellow. Black is ground, Yellow is the amber. Red I will not be using for this hookup. Can I use these ACC connections for this purpose or what is the way to install these easily, so they come on and go off when the bike does? I don't mind tapping into let's say the license plate light (turn on and off with the bike) with a t-tap connector but I really don't want to splice the factory wires If i don't need to.

All that being said, how do you suggest me installing these amber strips for running lights? Step of the process would be helpful. I do want to learn how it works is why I ask for the steps. I appreciate all advice/help with this. GOD SPEED!!Image
GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): Temporarily none.
Has liked: 430 times
Been liked: 391 times

Re: Adding led strip running lights

Post by GrandpaDenny »

Yes, those accesory terminals are switched with the ignition. There is another pair behind the headlight, BTW. I have LED strips around my truck, red and amber for tail and turn signals. I have a set of white/yellow ones for the front as well, just haven't decided where exactly to put them. I also have a third brake light on the trunk. I like lights. I like bright gear. I like being seen. I don't like going SPLAT.

Cars tend to stay waaaaay behind me at stop lights. They must think I'm a cop with all those lights. I even have blue reflective license plate bolts (she came with them). I really ought to put a video up on here of what Gertrude looks like when I hit the brakes. It's pretty impressive with all those LED lights, including the rear fender light. Every time I hit the brakes the lights flash differently. The third brake light keeps flashing.

Live, laugh, love, ride, and don't go SPLAT.
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
2000 Voyager XII "Gertrude" - deceased

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

Voyager XII Manuals:
https://amervoyassoc.org/zg1200manuals.php

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager 1700 V-Twin”