Resurrection of an '86, it begins

Got a tech tip for Voyager 12's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Cherryriver
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2009 FJR1300
2000 VFR800
1999 CBR1100XX
1986 ZG1200
Permitted to maintain the Missus' Ninja 1000LT
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Resurrection of an '86, it begins

Post by Cherryriver »

I decided to start a new thread, maybe it's cleaner that way.
I had an '86 come at me from an estate. I might have let it go by but it only has 6078 miles on the clock and the cosmetics are very good to excellent (under a layer of sat-in-a-garage for a decade or more).
I worked my way past the previous owner's security kill switch installation, mainly a rocker switch adjacent to the fuel filler cap. It cranks fine, now.
But now I seem to be not getting spark: with a new plug in two different caps, nothing doing at the business end.
I've gone through just about every new owner info post I could find but am not seeing a no-spark thing.
The connectors I've been able to inspect all seem fine. After all, the bike hardly even saw the light of day.
I have been staring at the wiring diagram at great length and nothing obvious is jumping out.
Tinkering time on this bike is a bit limited, as it's kept in a storage container five miles from home from the time being. I'm no novice at chasing electrical issues- I had more than a few Brit bikes in the past. I rode my BSA twin for some 40K, but that thing didn't have Lucasitis.
I did have a Velocette Thruxton for a good while. Lighting was optional, but it wasn't my option to choose.
So, any hints?
Thanks
Bill
Cherryriver
Streetster
Streetster
2000 VFR800
1999 CBR1100XX
1986 ZG1200

Re: Resurrection of an '86, it begins

Post by Cherryriver »

Further occasional diddling around. Tried the original ECU, still no dice. Don't see a connector adrift yet. Wonder now if having disconnected the fuel pump so it doesn't run while I'm testing other stuff- the fuel tank is empty and it's pulling air- might somehow be breaking an ignition circuit.
Seems pretty far fetched.
Only getting hands-on sporadically doesn't help with either making progress or with mental continuity.
triton28
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 1987 ZG-1200 B1
1987 ZG-1200 B1
1990 ZG-1200 B4
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 234 times

Post by triton28 »

Bill;
it sounds as though the Black/Red wire from the Starter Button may not be a closed circuit when the button is pressed. This could be due to either a malfunction in the button contacts themselves or if not the contacts in the button housing then possibly the plastic connector this Bk/R wire runs through may be suffering from corrosion on the terminals.
A simple check is to check voltage on the Black wire/s connected to the Starter Circuit Relay while depressing the Starter Button with the Ignition switch turned on and the Engine Stop Switch set to RUN. You should get battery voltage which would then, once reconnected to the relay, energize the Starter Circuit Relay and turn the motor over.
The Black wire, in the main harness, by the way is what the Bk/R becomes after the first connector down from the handlebars.
You can also bypass the starter button with a jumper wire used on the main harness side of the above mentioned connector by jumping the Red and the Black wire and the starter should operate. Of course the transmission would have to be in Neutral or the lockout would over ride any starting circuit closure.
At least that's the way I see it but I may be wrong. Hope that helps in some small way,
Dave
GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): Temporarily none.
Has liked: 430 times
Been liked: 391 times

Post by GrandpaDenny »

How about the usual suspect for odd electrical problems (and I'm surprised nobody's mentioned it already) the 10-pin connector?
These users liked GrandpaDenny's post:
cushman eagle (Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:39 am)
Rating: 12.5%
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
2000 Voyager XII "Gertrude" - deceased

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

Voyager XII Manuals:
https://amervoyassoc.org/zg1200manuals.php
Cherryriver
Streetster
Streetster
2000 VFR800
1999 CBR1100XX
1986 ZG1200

Post by Cherryriver »

Dave- Maybe I wasn't as clear as I could be. The engine is cranking fine. It's that I'm not seeing a spark at a new plug set in a boot and grounded.
Denny- I will have a look there. But I have to say, with the bike only having 6000 miles, and having been stored in a garage all along, I have not yet seen any notable corrosion on any of the connectors I've had occasion to open up.
I might have a bit of time today and not-too-severe weather, so I can get there with the meter and see if I can track it down. I've already printed out the wiring diagram in oversize to pore over, and I do have the factory service manual at hand.
Then I can go back to worrying about the carbs.
Thevoyagerguy58
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2002 voyager 7
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Thevoyagerguy58 »

Hello,I know this,is,a,old,post, bit having tje same problem, no spark, did you ever found out?

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”