Chrome Airbox Cover

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

ffltstn
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): '95 Voyager
'82 KZ1000J
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Chrome Airbox Cover

Post by ffltstn »

Does anyone know what type plastic the Chrome side covers for the airbox is made of? I know all the black plastic is ABS and can be repaired with ABS glue, The plastic under the chrome is a whitish color. What can I glue it with?
Thanks,
Ken In FL
Ken In Orlando Fl.
'95 Voyager
'82 KZ1000J
SgtSlag
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1993 Voyager XII (2010)
(2006-2012: 1979 Honda CB750K)
(2008-2010: 1983 Kawasaki 440LTD, belt drive)
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 218 times

Re: Chrome Airbox Cover

Post by SgtSlag »

There are many diverse types of plastic... I suggest some experimentation will be necessary.

The liquid Model Cement, is a solvent for some types of plastic. I would start with a small jar of that, the type with the brush in the cap. You will know if it works, quickly, as it will literally dissolve the surfaces of the plastic, welding it together as the solvent evaporates, within 15 minutes. Or not. If the plastic does not melt with it, then put it away. Not terribly expensive, available at most hobby stores.

After that, you can try ABS Pipe Glue: ABS plastic dissolved in acetone; the acetone evaporates leaving behind solidified ABS plastic. This can be found at every hardware store in the USA.

Failing those, you can try using JB Weld Plastic Bonder Body Panel Adhesive, or J-B Weld Original Epoxy, Steel Reinforced Epoxy, High Strength. Both are two-part epoxies, requiring a good mixture to activate/cure them, over a period of hours.

I never recommend any form, or brand, of Super Glue: it has no sheer strength: twist the glued pieces, and they will sheer apart; try to pull them apart, without twisting, and they are solid with a very strong bond.

That's all I have to share. I hope something I recommended will work for you. Cheers! :thmup:

PS:

Hot Glue works pretty well on HDPE plastic (Milk Jugs, plastic Army Men figures). It might be one of the better options to try on a bike's plastic parts. You can use either High Temperature, or Low Temperature Glue Sticks/Guns. The High Temperature Glue has a longer hardening time, and it flows much better than Low Temperature Glue, but either will work. You will want to rub the excess off, while it is still molten (HOT - Be Careful!!!), or let it harden fully, and then cut it off with a new razor blade. It will be challenging to achieve a good finish on the result, but it might work, if nothing else does. Cheers (2.0)!
These users liked SgtSlag's post:
Nails (Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:01 am)
Rating: 12.5%
SgtSlag

1993 Voyager XII

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”