about to buy a 2000 model

Got a tech tip for Voyager 12's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): Temporarily none.
Has liked: 430 times
Been liked: 391 times

Re: about to buy a 2000 model

Post by GrandpaDenny »

Yup, you're right, it's the ignition switch harness that's cable tied.
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
2000 Voyager XII "Gertrude" - deceased

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

Voyager XII Manuals:
https://amervoyassoc.org/zg1200manuals.php
grumpy72
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2013 vstar 650
99 shadow 1100
93 voyager 1200
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 15 times

Post by grumpy72 »

Reading here I keep hearing about a 10 pin connector tht causes problems. where is it, how do you fix it, what does it control? I have no electrical problems so far. If I do I will remove it.Thanks for the answers
VoyKimmer
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2002 Voyager XII
1996 Voyager XII
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 98 times

Post by VoyKimmer »

The 10 pin connector controls everything electrical on the bike. From ignition problems, to lights, to relays.
When the wires in it get burnt or losing connection you will start having all kinds of electrical problems that will drive you nuts. They usually start off small but not always. And can leave you stranded. I had to drive home from work at night one night at midnight with no lights whatsoever on the bike. No dash lights no head lights , no tail lights , not even brake lights. It was scary in pitch darkness. That’s when I parked the bike and cut that goofy 10 pin connector out, don’t try to use crimp connectors. It will end up biting you in the end. Solder and heat shrink each wire. Unbolt the fuse block to give yourself more wire space.

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”