At wits end with dead headlight

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Heavy Armor
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 15 times

At wits end with dead headlight

Post by Heavy Armor »

I've replaced the main and headlight relays, cleaned all the connectors (nothing looked bad), checked continuity on the headlight negative. 10 pin connector is pristine. No power at all to the headlight. No power to the high beam indicator. No power to the dimmer switch at all. I can't figure out where the power is supposedly to be coming in on the dimmer... There's a solid red wire in the switch that's unaccounted for in the wiring diagram.

Maybe unrelated, but my brake lights won't operate with the hand switch, though I can hear the relay engaging. Lights work as expected with foot switch. I swapped relays around up front with no change to the brake lights. I'm mostly concerned with the headlight at the moment, but thought I'd mention this just in case they were tied together in a way I don't understand.

Anyone know anything else to look at? I'm considering blood sacrifice at this point... :-?

I realize I've been asking questions about this 2, 3 times now. Sorry I'm being annoying, but I'm SUPER frustrated that after all the carb issues I had, my bike's roadworthiness is now being thwarted by one. Frikkin. Bulb.
GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): Temporarily none.
Has liked: 430 times
Been liked: 391 times

Re: At wits end with dead headlight

Post by GrandpaDenny »

Heavy Armor wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:26 am Maybe unrelated, but my brake lights won't operate with the hand switch, though I can hear the relay engaging.
Are you hearing two clicks? There are two switches in there, one for the brake light and one for the cruise control disconnect. If you're only hearing one click, you need a new switch. If you hear two, then you may or may not need a new switch. There is a small hole on the underside of the switch to spray contact cleaner into. Douche it real good and that may help.

As for the 10-pin connector, just because it looks pristine doesn't mean there isn't a broken wire in or around there somewhere. Did you cut the tie wrap to set it free?

You do know that the headlight doesn't come on until you start the bike, right? Or, rather, until you hit the starter switch.
These users liked GrandpaDenny's post:
Bonnie and Clyde (Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:03 pm)
Rating: 12.5%
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
2000 Voyager XII "Gertrude" - deceased

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

Voyager XII Manuals:
https://amervoyassoc.org/zg1200manuals.php
triton28
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 1987 ZG-1200 B1
1987 ZG-1200 B1
1990 ZG-1200 B4
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 234 times

Post by triton28 »

Have you checked the diode assembly for the headlight? Is the Yellow wire on the starter cable hooked up to the Yellow wire of the main harness? This little Yellow wire and the diode it passes through are the key to the headlight working.
Just a thought.
These users liked triton28's post:
Bonnie and Clyde (Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:03 pm)
Heavy Armor
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by Heavy Armor »

Denny, yes, I cut the harness free, but looks like I was the first to do so, so the damage may have already been done.

Triton, I did check the yellow wire. It behaves and sends the 12V pulse as the starter is depressed, and stops when the button is released. I also checked the relay, and the blue/yellow wire does the same, so sounds like the diode is working as well. After the bike fires up, one of the blue/red wires from the headlight relay stays hot.

With all this going on, I'm still not showing any power to the dimmer switch, the high beam indicator, and of course no headlight.
Micoproviso
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 1995 Kawasaki Voyager XII
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1983 Honda CB1100F
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Micoproviso »

When I had a fractured wire at that zip tie, the way I found it was to open up the wire bundle sheathing at the point where the zip tie was to expose all of the wires. Then I handled each wire individually. The fractured one didn’t have any damage visually, but had the consistency of a wet noodle at the fracture when bent. The others were stiff. Cutting and soldering that one wire at that point solved my problems.
These users liked Micoproviso's post:
Bonnie and Clyde (Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:30 pm)
GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): Temporarily none.
Has liked: 430 times
Been liked: 391 times

Post by GrandpaDenny »

Our Collective Experience sure has been that the weird, unexplainable, unfindable, untraceable, electrical issues have overwhelmingly been due to, at, near, or around the 10-pin connector.
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
2000 Voyager XII "Gertrude" - deceased

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

Voyager XII Manuals:
https://amervoyassoc.org/zg1200manuals.php
VoyKimmer
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2002 Voyager XII
1996 Voyager XII
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 98 times

Post by VoyKimmer »

Cut out 10 pin connector . Also remove and check every wire in inciting switch. It’s one of the two or both.
VoyKimmer
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
1996 Voyager XII

Post by VoyKimmer »

Ignition switch
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '99 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1958 Cushman Eagle restoration has been finished,and have put 3030 miles on her!
Has liked: 808 times
Been liked: 271 times

Post by cushman eagle »

VoyKimmer wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:33 pm Ignition switch
Or ignition switch harness :hmm:
'99 Voyager VXII,'58 Cushman Eagle
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator
Current bike(s): 2000 voyager end of year total. 108.634
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by ekap1200 »

As said by the previous two reply's. remove the ing. sw. and using 4 hands ( a helper is reqired at times ) while one person is testing pin to pin, the other person is ( bending , flexing, MOVING ) THE harness. Same with the 10 pin to the fuse box and with handle bar control if you don't find it at those 2 harness's .
Gene
These users liked ekap1200's post:
cushman eagle (Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:50 pm)
"Its not bad if you don't know something, but when you don't know you don't know; That's when your in trouble". Joe Place 1912-2008 (my grandfather)
mayhem8
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2003 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by mayhem8 »

Just a thought, but was thinking that a non-contact voltage tester may help trace this down. I just Googled it and they have ones that work for AC and DC for under $20.
triton28
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 1987 ZG-1200 B1
1987 ZG-1200 B1
1990 ZG-1200 B4
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 234 times

Post by triton28 »

I just wondered if you have solved the H/L problem as I was thinking that possibly the headlight "Reserve Lighting Device" may be the culprit. While in Neutral gear with the ignition switch set to ON, the "Engine Stop Switch" set to RUN and the starter button tapped to trigger the headlight relay then the Red/Blue wire to the reserve unit should be providing 12V to the reserve device. From the device there should be 12V leaving along the Blue/Orange and/or the Blue/Yellow wires to the handlebar hi/lo switch. I'm not sure which wire or if both are 12V at normal bulb filament status.
Anyway, just another thought if you haven't conquered the problem,
Dave
These users liked triton28's post:
Heavy Armor (Fri May 26, 2023 2:05 am)
Heavy Armor
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by Heavy Armor »

It took me forever to get back around to it (and even longer to get back on here), but I finally gave in a chopped out my perfectly pristine 10-pin connector. I hardwired everything back together.

And now the headlight works every time. :lol:

I guess the lesson is: listen to the people with experience, and don't trust the dang 10-pin, ever. :rolling:
These users liked Heavy Armor's post:
GrandpaDenny (Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:11 pm) • Bonnie and Clyde (Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:26 pm)
Rating: 25%
VoyKimmer
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
1996 Voyager XII

Post by VoyKimmer »

Seeeeee !!! That darn 10 pin connector has given so much crief to people with these bikes but most don’t want to listen.
These users liked VoyKimmer's post:
GrandpaDenny (Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:11 pm)

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”