Rotator Cuff

For general motorcycle related use, news, and observations.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '99 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1958 Cushman Eagle restoration has been finished,and have put 3030 miles on her!
Has liked: 808 times
Been liked: 271 times

Rotator Cuff

Post by cushman eagle »

Yesterday my thoughts were confirmed,an MRI showed I have a partially torn rotator cuff :cry2:
Does anyone here have any experience with recovery from an operation to repair the cuff,and how long does it take to regain enough strength to ride a bike again :hmm:
My surgery is not scheduled yet.
'99 Voyager VXII,'58 Cushman Eagle
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '97 XII
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250
'82 Silverwing Sushiguzzi
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 544 times

Re: Rotator Cuff

Post by Nails »

Yeppers. An early dressing change from July -- surgery on 7/6. (Click on the photo to see it right-side up.)
IMG_0733.JPG
I think one important part there is "partially". Mine apparently was a complete tear on the supraspinatus tendon and partial tear on two others (of four, according to the MRI report). My surgery involved suturing that tendon back onto my humerus (you already know exactly where it hurts, on the outside of your shoulder). Yep, they sew through the bone, presumably using some really stout bailing twine. And I have it on good authority that they get all caveman about it too, literally pounding on bones enough to shake my carcass. I came out with bruises where other shoulder bones were clamped down, especially right over my AC joint.

Obviously, it would be stupid to pull that tendon right back off -- something that at least used to happen about half the time. You can't rely on pain because the nerves need to grow back. It heals slowly because only lymph circulates -- the blood vessels need to grow back, too. I was very careful about certain movements -- ask the doc -- and I'm still guarding it a bit. (Not letting my elbow get away from my ribs, no external or internal rotation of my upper arm, and no weight on that arm for a good month -- no lifting nuthin'. I also made a big effort not to contract any of those muscles under my deltoid and onto my chest, at least for the first few weeks.)

I was ordered to stay in a sling for three months. They let me start passive range-of-motion (I was supposed to do nothing and let the lovely physical therapist move my arm) on 7/26, only getting into active ROM in mid-August, and very light weights and stretchy bands in early-Sept. I'm just now cleared to lift weights and work up to exposing that tendon to muscle failure -- but I'll take it slowly. Lately I've been lifting heavier stuff (40 lbs or so).

In my experience, my surgeon totally rocks. I asked him about reefing my deltoid to the side and out of the way, but he said that he'd just cut straight through it. I think it was some new technique. I went home about 3 hrs after the surgery, definitely in a sling and AFU on pre-op meds.

They gave me a nerve block near my clavicle that lasted half-way through my second day after surgery. Then it hurt a lot and I ate narcs for about 30 hrs. (I truly hate those damn narcs.) Then I pounded ibuprofen for a little more than a week, and that was pretty-much it painwise. The pain was from cutting me all up and pounding nail-like things through my bones. I had no pain at all during therapy -- actually had full ROM on day one of PT.

The biggest hassle is that I had to sleep in a recliner for about 6 weeks. I couldn't afford to roll over on that shoulder.

Everybody seemed surprised at my a rapid recovery. Please don't think I'm trying to brag here, but I sorta bent some of the rules using extreme caution. My wife came out to be step-n-fetch for a month, but she abandoned me after three weeks to go back to gainful employment. I was doing just fine, including holding the steering wheel while my good arm shifted the top-loader 4-speed in my old truck. I basically blew off the sling after about 3 wks, again using caution.

More to your point, in late August my truck died when I was trying to get to PT. So I rode my dirt bike that 12 miles ... and it felt great (handlebar therapy strikes again). I rode that light bike every few days after that, in fair weather. (Yes, there was a risk of a situation that would require writing a check that my recovering shoulder might not've been able to cash. I would not have tried that on the XII ... even if it were running.)

[Edit: On the whole, I had to write off my summer. I rushed some construction (a log-framed canopy over my shop's "barn doors") and other chores, but didn't finish them in time anyway. And no firewood this cold winter. I wouldn't feel too comfortable riding the XII before about now ... except now it's snowing. This despite doing recovery tasks weeks ahead of schedule. Looking back, I consider the whole recovery a doodle but it really did take 6 months. But I did get a lot of smaller things done that were technically forbidden.]

Definitely, YMMV!!!
These users liked Nails's post:
cushman eagle (Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:19 am)
Rating: 12.5%
--
Nails
GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): Temporarily none.
Has liked: 430 times
Been liked: 391 times

Post by GrandpaDenny »

My supraspinnatus was torn (probably still is) about 75% of the way through - right on the cusp of whether PT will work or surgery is needed. I opted for PT and my lovely physical therapist worked miracles. I still get twinges once in a while, but all in all it's pretty much 100%. The real miracle is she managed to improve my posture!
These users liked GrandpaDenny's post:
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
2000 Voyager XII "Gertrude" - deceased

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

Voyager XII Manuals:
https://amervoyassoc.org/zg1200manuals.php
Scott-(Altoona, PA)
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 121 times

Post by Scott-(Altoona, PA) »

I have not but my dear wife Beth has had both shoulders worked on. Like mentioned PT is God-sent, pay attention to what they say, do what they say and be open and honest with all of the med staff. WEAR the sling! Especially when out in the public. Beth's therapist said it helps others to see that they need to avoid making contact with you as well as protect the surgery site.
:pray:
These users liked Scott-(Altoona, PA)'s post:
Mid-Atlantic Voyagers chapter secretary {"scribe"}
2001 Voyager XII
We may not know them all, but we owe them all! Thank a Veteran today!
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250

Post by Nails »

Scott-(Altoona, PA) wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:38 pmWEAR the sling! Especially when out in the public. Beth's therapist said it helps others to see that they need to avoid making contact with you as well as protect the surgery site.
I can go several days without leaving the house and so didn't really need the sling in crowds. But I did wear it to negotiate with my insurance agent over some stupid stuff they wanted me to do on my property. And many waitresses wanted to "hear my story", which with practice evolved into quite a nice one.

But here's a story that's actually true (I swear) from my recovery. Here's the recliner I slept in and the screen door to my back porch.
inside screen door.jpg
Here's god's own honest truth, that I sent to the neighbors come morning:

This email is to tell you about a small disturbance in the neighborhood at about 2AM last night.

I had shoulder surgery and have been sleeping in a reclining sofa chair, about 8 feet from my back door. We’ve had the doors and windows open to take in some cool night air -- pretty hot out. I was awakened by some noises, one sounding like a heavy metal object falling off a truck’s tailgate onto soft dirt. Another was hearing our little dog go out the doggie door. This is in a stout screen door I built for the back door, going out to a small area beyond the porch, enclosed within a 4-ft fence.

I got up in the dark to check on the dog, who was sleeping in the living room. Looking out the back door, I saw one of those scary shadows that reminded me of a dwarf, troll, or something on the porch. I went to the light switch next to the door, mostly to confirm that there were no visitors from Middle Earth back there.

Large claws were about shoulder high on the screen door. The bear was about 5 feet tall, standing against the door -- if the door suddenly vanished the bear would've fallen on me. It had a shaggy and most handsome cinnamon coat … and a very large mouth. It looked at me with an expression of curiosity. After a few long seconds, it turned to the ground and walked away on all-fours. I’m guessing about 175 lbs and a bit more than 2 feet tall – a juvenile.

The front screen door is just a screen that rolls out to close with magnets. I promptly shut that door. A couple hours later, I was almost ready to go back to sleep.

One neighbor replied with this, from his porch cam:
Saturday night bear1.jpg
cushman eagle (Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:19 am) • Scott-(Altoona, PA) (Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:12 pm) • ekap1200 (Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:18 pm)
Rating: 37.5%
--
Nails
ted1r
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): Kawasaki ZG1200 and KE250
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by ted1r »

WOW I think were lucky over here the biggest thing my yard would be the Fox ,

Ted
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250

Post by Nails »

You're overlooking the occasional bloodthirsty, knight-killing rabbit.
--
Nails
GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer

Post by GrandpaDenny »

Nails wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:11 pm You're overlooking the occasional bloodthirsty, knight-killing rabbit.
Death awaits ye with big pointy teeth!
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

Voyager XII Manuals:
Scott-(Altoona, PA)
King of the Road
King of the Road

As I read this I was worried you came face to face with the "Mothman" of Point Pleasant West Virginia!
Phew, glad it was just BooBoo looking for Yogi!
2001 Voyager XII
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250

Post by Nails »

Scott,
Looking at your signature, I should mention that my shoulder surgery came courtesy of the VA.
Thanks!
--
Nails
Scott-(Altoona, PA)
King of the Road
King of the Road

Well Neal, Thank you for your service and I certainly hope that the VA was able to provide you with great service.
I've talked to quite a few veterans here at this site and when asked if I served, I always tell them the truth. That I was mature enough to know at 18 that I was too immature to go into the service and wouldn't have survived. Looking back on it now, I wish I would have but life takes its twists and turns, and I never did. So now I try my best to serve those who have, to the best of my abilities. And I do find it very rewarding.
2001 Voyager XII
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250

Post by Nails »

Ha! I volunteered because I was too immature to figure out another way to get out of the house. The military fosters a lot of growing up.

And now I get to relive that. My daughter is a METOC (meteorologist) with 3rd Intel Battalion in Okinawa. She’s made Cpl in 2 (peacetime) years, and plans to get her BS (meteorology) and private pilots license in the next 3 years there. You might be thinking that I’m a proud parent of a Jarhead. That’s okay.

As for the VA, I was in the Santa Fe clinic for a shingles shot about 2 hrs ago. I’ve been treated far better than anything I’ve deserved.
cushman eagle (Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:34 am)
--
Nails
Dave
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): BMW R1250GS
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 24 times

Post by Dave »

Nails wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:01 pm And now I get to relive that. My daughter is a METOC (meteorologist) with 3rd Intel Battalion in Okinawa. She’s made Cpl in 2 (peacetime) years, and plans to get her BS (meteorology) and private pilots license in the next 3 years there. You might be thinking that I’m a proud parent of a Jarhead. That’s okay.
I spent six years in the Air Force, five of which was as a weather officer in Air Weather Service. Don't know about Marines but in the Air Force, most weather people spend their duty in base weather stations doing forecasting and briefing pilots regarding weather or taking weather observations.
These users liked Dave's post:
cushman eagle (Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:39 pm)
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250

Post by Nails »

It's ground patrols, not aviation. But since it's an Intel Battalion she doesn't share many specifics -- and I don't ask. (She normally has to leave her phone in the barracks &etc.)

She has participated in field ops trainings. "All Marines are riflemen" after all.

This photo presumably is just bragging about how cush her day went.
IMG_0866.jpg
Note that I only picked her up at Kesler at the end of September.

(She also wore an AF uniform, several years in Civil Air Patrol.)
--
Nails
GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer

Post by GrandpaDenny »

If I had known such a rate existed, and wasn't so gee-whiz about being a Nuke, I would have been much happier as an Aerographer's Mate in the Navy. I've been a weather geek since I was in grade school.
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

Voyager XII Manuals:
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250

Post by Nails »

My best friend from boot camp (Great Lakes) became a nuke-ET. Last I heard, he was on a minesweeper towing targets, bobbleing his way across the Atlantic.
--
Nails
GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer

Post by GrandpaDenny »

My dumb ass got tossed from Nuke school too. Spent years on gators (amphibs), a destroyer tender, tugs, and a tin can.
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

Voyager XII Manuals:
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road
1958 Cushman Eagle restoration has been finished,and have put 3030 miles on her!

Post by cushman eagle »

Visiting with my doctor,he showed me an X-Ray taken 4 years ago,and the MRI of 3 weeks ago,and I found it is not much worse ,so he suggested getting cortisone shots :hmm:
He thinks every 3 months,so we will see how that works out :thmup:
These users liked cushman eagle's post:
Nails (Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:48 am)
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250

Post by Nails »

That "partial" thing -- might not attract bears.
Hope you get PT and the inflammation and pain go down.
cushman eagle (Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:43 pm)
--
Nails
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road

Post by cushman eagle »

Thank you Nails,I have been doing home PT for 4 years :hmm: Which may be why there has been little change since then :woohoo:

Return to “General Chat”