Aftermarket Radio install

Got a tech tip for Voyager 12's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

glvnthedream
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2002 Kawasaki Voyager XII 1200
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 14 times

Aftermarket Radio install

Post by glvnthedream »

I did a forum search and only found old post from 8-10 years ago.

Has anyone installed an aftermarket radio and was able to connect the handlebar controls to control the radio? Speed volume, station control at a minimum.

Is the stock radio setup for those controls or is there an external interface that controls this between the handlebar controls and the radio?

Thanks in advance.
SgtSlag
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1993 Voyager XII (2010)
(2006-2012: 1979 Honda CB750K)
(2008-2010: 1983 Kawasaki 440LTD, belt drive)
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 218 times

Re: Aftermarket Radio install

Post by SgtSlag »

And now for something completely different... :idea:

I would recommend bypassing the on-bike radio. altogether. Buy a Bluetooth Intercom system, with in-helmet speakers. You will get far better sound quality. It will also allow you to interconnect your cell phone with it: make/receive phone calls. It is lightyears ahead of an on-bike radio.

These intercoms will allow communication with your passenger, or you can connect with other riders (equipped with a compatible Intercom), up to around a 1/4 mile away, depending upon surrounding terrain.

These intercoms come equipped with built-in AM/FM radios. Operator controls vary widely, so do your homework before you buy. Some are easy to operate, some are complex.

If you have no need/interest in communicating with another intercom, the Bluetooth interface is still incredibly useful. It can connect to a Bluetooth-equipped satellite GPS, if you prefer that to a cellphone tower dependent GPS. Cheers!
SgtSlag

1993 Voyager XII
GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): Temporarily none.
Has liked: 430 times
Been liked: 391 times

Post by GrandpaDenny »

I run a SENA SR-10 bluetooth hub on the bike. Phone, CB (aftermarket, not factory), 2m ham radio all plug into the SR-10 and connect to my helmet via bluetooth. I run Sirius XM on the phone for tunes, sometimes Pandora - I prefer the sound quality of SXM. I used to use the factory stereo until the power switch broke. Now the factory radio is just a clock.
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
2000 Voyager XII "Gertrude" - deceased

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

Voyager XII Manuals:
https://amervoyassoc.org/zg1200manuals.php
SgtSlag
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1993 Voyager XII (2010)
(2006-2012: 1979 Honda CB750K)
(2008-2010: 1983 Kawasaki 440LTD, belt drive)
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 218 times

Post by SgtSlag »

Another point to consider regarding a radio, with speakers such as the OEM setup: everyone you drive by, gets an earful of your music/talk show blaring from your speakers...

I am not a fan of many music styles. When I see/hear someone ride by, or pull up near me on their bike, with their music blaring (even if it is a genre/style I enjoy, I find it inconsiderate, and often rude. I feel the same way about people in cars, with their windows down, blasting their music to anyone within earshot.

I try to be considerate, whether on bike, or in a car. If I have my windows down, with music playing, I turn it down, to avoid bothering others nearby, at traffic stops, and when driving in residential/downtown areas.

With an intercom system, the music/talk is modulated through a speaker, pressing against your ear, inside of your helmet -- no one else can hear it, but you.

On my bike, since I ride two-up 99% of the time, the voice activated intercom allows my wife and I to communicate easily, using a normal voice: people nearby can only hear one side of the conversation, if we speak normally (if we whisper, they can't hear any part of the conversation. The convenience of a Bluetooth Intercom is phenomenal, in so many ways. It is hilarious when we stop for gas: one of us will fill the bike, while the other goes inside to get snacks and a drink to share on a short break from riding. We can hear each others conversations with people, both inside the store, and at the pump; we can talk back and forth between pump and inside -- unless/until one person turns their intercom off. I will listen to my wife's conversation with the store clerk at the register, and I will make joking comments only she can hear... We have too much fun with our intercoms. :gig:

Another thing to consider if you ride two-up: each rider's intercom can be tuned/sync'ed separately. Each rider's intercom can be tuned to a different radio station, or they can connect via Bluetooth to each person's cell phone, so each individual has complete control over their music choices. The voice-activated intercom system will temporarily silence their music input to allow the intercom to operate. Devices can be prioritized by the individual such that the intercom function can be the primary, which overrides all other inputs; you can make your Bluetooth GPS take priority over the passenger Intercom/other bike intercoms/radio/etc. They are incredibly useful, customizable systems. Cheers!
SgtSlag

1993 Voyager XII
glvnthedream
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2002 Kawasaki Voyager XII 1200
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by glvnthedream »

I am not interested in an intercom setup as I wear a half helmet and prefer the use of the speakers.

So I go back to my original question, has anyone successfully installed an aftermarket radio and kept the handlebar radio controls?

I currently have a Bluetooth setup plugged into the cigarette lighter installed. I WANT to install a new radio and remove the need for the adapter to connect my phone.
IMG_1606.jpeg
GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): Temporarily none.
Has liked: 430 times
Been liked: 391 times

Post by GrandpaDenny »

Pete Franchi does a modification to the stock radio that includes, among other things, bluetooth. He can be reached by phone at: 540-391-0884; or by e-mail at b6sw@hotmail.com. One of these days I'm going to get off my lazy butt and send Gertrude's radio to him. He does repairs, too.
These users liked GrandpaDenny's post:
Stew (Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:55 pm) • glvnthedream (Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:11 am)
Rating: 25%
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
2000 Voyager XII "Gertrude" - deceased

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

Voyager XII Manuals:
https://amervoyassoc.org/zg1200manuals.php

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”