No Neutral light

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Tuna Man 62
Current bike(s): 1994 Kawasaki Voyager XII
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

No Neutral light

Post by Tuna Man 62 »

I recently changed and bled the clutch and brake fluid on my "94 Voyager. Now I have no neutral light, and the bike stalls when clutch lever is released. Is it my neutral sensor? And yes, the kickstand was up. If I feather the clutch lever, I can get it to move slow in first gear.
triton28
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 1987 ZG-1200 B1
1987 ZG-1200 B1
1990 ZG-1200 B4
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 234 times

Re: No Neutral light

Post by triton28 »

The Red/Black wire with the female bullet connector plugs directly onto the brass tip of the neutral/OD switch. Make sure that the brass male end of the switch AND the plastic encased female connector are both bright clean and not corroded.
The switch is located just slightly ahead and below the level of the oil level sight glass and has a short Black wire with a male terminal on the wire. This Black wire is the OD connector.
You may have dislodged the Bk/R wire when bleeding the slave cylinder of the clutch.
Dave
These users liked triton28's post:
Lucasind (Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:50 pm) • cranky (Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:17 pm) • Tuna Man 62 (Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:06 am)
Rating: 37.5%
Tuna Man 62
Current bike(s): 1994 Kawasaki Voyager XII
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Tuna Man 62 »

Thanks for your possible remedy, I'll have to check that. It doesn't sound like I need to track down any parts!
MAXX00
Current bike(s): 2015 Kawasaki ZX14R and 1998 Kawasaki Voyager Xii
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MAXX00 »

I have the exact same problem with my 1998 Voyager. I have to start with the clutch engaged and cannot find Neutral. It is still chilly here in northern Indiana so I thought it might have something to do with the cold. I let it warm up for several minutes but nothing changed. Can't get neutral light on and engine dies when I release the clutch (kick stand up).
Scott-(Altoona, PA)
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 121 times

Post by Scott-(Altoona, PA) »

About 12-14 years ago I had an issue with the bike dying when I released the clutch (kick stand up). Happened several times and once I was rolling onto the interstate and it just died! Turned out the safety switch on the kick stand was faulty, I removed it, spliced the wires and problem fixed. I do have to remember to lift the kick stand but that isn't much of a problem. I never relied on the switch to remind me anyway!
Tuna Man 62 and MAXX00, this is something to think about. The light switch in the trunk is an exact match if you want to swap them to test!
These users liked Scott-(Altoona, PA)'s post:
cushman eagle (Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:24 am)
Rating: 12.5%
Mid-Atlantic Voyagers chapter secretary {"scribe"}
2001 Voyager XII
We may not know them all, but we owe them all! Thank a Veteran today!
MAXX00
Current bike(s): 2015 Kawasaki ZX14R and 1998 Kawasaki Voyager Xii
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MAXX00 »

I found my issue (with neutral light not coming on and bike had to be started with clutch in, and would die when I released the clutch). I remembered a bike mechanic video where the guy said a big percentage of your problems on older bike can be solved by cleaning connection terminals. I started disconnecting and cleaning terminals and my problem went away and she starts and runs like a top again! :-D :woohoo:
These users liked MAXX00's post:
GrandpaDenny (Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:13 pm)
Rating: 12.5%
GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): Temporarily none.
Has liked: 430 times
Been liked: 391 times

Post by GrandpaDenny »

MAXX00 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:00 am I found my issue (with neutral light not coming on and bike had to be started with clutch in, and would die when I released the clutch). I remembered a bike mechanic video where the guy said a big percentage of your problems on older bike can be solved by cleaning connection terminals. I started disconnecting and cleaning terminals and my problem went away and she starts and runs like a top again! :-D :woohoo:
My favorite kind of repair - one banana job, no dollar.
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
2000 Voyager XII "Gertrude" - deceased

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

Voyager XII Manuals:
https://amervoyassoc.org/zg1200manuals.php

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”