Clunky gears on the XII?

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Heavy Armor
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 15 times

Clunky gears on the XII?

Post by Heavy Armor »

I promise I tried to search this, but almost all the results were not related to the XII, so I decided to go ahead and ask.

I've literally just gotten my '01 up and running after 2 years of screwing around with it. New-to-me bike, bought from a wheeler-dealer that didn't disclose all the issues, yadda yadda. But we're finally on the road.

FRIKKIN. LOVE. IT. Man what a neat ride. That said, I'm noticing that the transmission is seriously clunky... basically banging into every gear but 5th. The clutch fluid is all new, and no air in the lines... I added to the top while draining out the bottom until it ran clear. Clutch releases at the very top, with very little friction zone to work with. I dunno if any of this is normal, but it's kind of a weird sensation and feels like maybe it's not supposed to be so... aggressive? I've had too many false neutrals and accidental neutrals already, but I'm thinking that I may just need to adjust the shift lever so that I'm not having to lift so high.

Any insight would be welcome.
GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): Temporarily none.
Has liked: 430 times
Been liked: 391 times

Re: Clunky gears on the XII?

Post by GrandpaDenny »

Yeah, the transmission on these is seriously heavy duty, and definitely positively lets you know when they go into gear. A very solid "click" or "clunk" indeed. I'd rather have the easy shifting with the clunk than most bikes' relatively hard and quiet shifting.

As to the clutch - yes, the friction zone isn't very far in, but if it's really close to the end, one very common thing to check is the spider springs in the clutch. Cheap repair (especially if you can do it yourself) and very common. The clutch plates themselves rarely wear out on these bikes (100,000 miles of Philly traffic finished mine LOL).
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
2000 Voyager XII "Gertrude" - deceased

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

Voyager XII Manuals:
https://amervoyassoc.org/zg1200manuals.php
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '97 XII
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250
'82 Silverwing Sushiguzzi
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 544 times

Post by Nails »

These trans have straight-cut gears, and so they are quite agricutural. That's why Loren uses his XII to pull a 2-bottom plow.
These users liked Nails's post:
SgtSlag (Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:07 pm)
Rating: 12.5%
--
Nails
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '99 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1958 Cushman Eagle restoration has been finished,and have put 3030 miles on her!
Has liked: 808 times
Been liked: 271 times

Post by cushman eagle »

Nails wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:26 pm These trans have straight-cut gears, and so they are quite agricutural. That's why Loren uses his XII to pull a 2-bottom plow.
I have an update on the plow,Nails,with the Commander tire,I now pull a 3-bottom :laughing: :rolling:
These users liked cushman eagle's post:
Nails (Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:03 am)
Rating: 12.5%
'99 Voyager VXII,'58 Cushman Eagle
coffeeboy4
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 1996 voyager XII, turned into a trike by motor trike company
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Post by coffeeboy4 »

Hello, I thought the same when I got my 1996 but found if you take it to higher rpm.s when you shift especially from 1st to 2nd gear it will go smoothly. ;

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”