splitting cases

Got a tech tip for Voyager 1300's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Hybrid 6
Current bike(s): 84 Voyager 1300a2
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

splitting cases

Post by Hybrid 6 »

Hey - great forum!
1984 Voyager 1300 approx 60k miles
I am trying to split my cases . I have all of the bolts removed, followed the procedure in the book but when I try to split them, something is hanging up on the rotor side. Does the rotor need to come off? It looks to me like there is a screw that needs to be removed behind the rotor but I cant tell for sure. it looks to me like 2 screws are on one side of the cases and one screw is on the other which is all behind the rotor and thats the spot that is binding me up when trying to split.Any help would be greatly appreciated since I havent split cases before. . Thanks in advance
Matt
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1986 Kawasaki ZN1300 Voyager
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 37 times

Re: splitting cases

Post by Van Voyager »

Going from memory here - it was a very, very long time ago.... Yes, I think the rotor has to come off.
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator
Current bike(s): 2000 voyager end of year total. 108.634
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by ekap1200 »

Van Voyager wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:55 pm Going from memory here - it was a very, very long time ago.... Yes, I think the rotor has to come off.
Isn't there another stator on that ? I have only seen one years ago.
"Its not bad if you don't know something, but when you don't know you don't know; That's when your in trouble". Joe Place 1912-2008 (my grandfather)
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1986 Kawasaki ZN1300 Voyager
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by Van Voyager »

ekap1200 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:24 am
Van Voyager wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:55 pm Going from memory here - it was a very, very long time ago.... Yes, I think the rotor has to come off.
Isn't there another stator on that ? I have only seen one years ago.
Depends on the year. Early ones only had one.
Hybrid 6
Current bike(s): 84 Voyager 1300a2
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Hybrid 6 »

Hey just in case anyone was wondering on my 84 zn1300 the rotor definitely DOES need to come off in order to split the cases. That surprised me because IMHO the Kawasaki manuals are very descriptive and seem to cover everything, so not including that step at that critical time where according to the book it should be separating threw me. Ah serves me right anyway. This whole situation should make me the poster child for not upgrading the tensioner when II had eleventy billion chances and even a bonus chance that would've made me get away with murder to do so but I didnt so :clap: :bravo: ...there ya go. :!!

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager 1300 Six”